The Juice for Miami - 5

  • TheJuice@localwineevents.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Local Wine Events: Update Email

      30 Day Calendar for Miami food/wine events sent to Miami Wine Tasters

      Unsubscribe and Preferences (change email) links at the bottom

        Some info may be cut short due to size constraints. Click here for full Miami calendar.

       Event: South American Wine Tasting at Cellars Wine and Spirits Ware...Place: Cellars Wine and Spirits Warehouse
       Date: Sat. Feb 5th @ 6:00 pmCost: $12 - Cellar Master members receive a $10 off coupon for purchase of wines valid during event
       Contact: 305-936-9433.

      Mark your calendars for a Tasting of South American wines you will not want to miss. You are cordially invited to two exceptional wine tasting events to be held at Cellars Wine & Spirits Warehouse Aventura store on Saturday, February 5th, 6-8PM a...more..

       NEW Event: Laboratory Night at Biscayne Wine Merchants BistroPlace: Biscayne Wine Merchants Bistro
       Date: Mon. Feb 7th @ 8:00pmCost: Varies - pay for your own dinner
       Contact: .

      For our February gathering, along with the usual festivities, we've cooked up something really fab, and we're calling it the Feb-FAB-Lab Night.Melissa Frantz and Melissa Arnold, of Melissa Frantz & Associates, will be joining us to tell us about ...more..

       Event: 2nd Annual Winter Wine ExtravaganzaPlace: WHOLE FOODS MARKET AVENTURA
       Date: Fri. Feb 18th @ 8-10:30 p.m.Cost: $15
       Contact: 305-933-1543.

      Taste 100 wines and enjoy a variety of natural gourmet foods, desserts and more. Listen to live music by Oriente. Admission is $15 per person (includes a complimentary wine glass). ...more..

      Event: The Great Wine SeminarPlace: Wydham Grand Bay Hotel
       Date: Fri. Feb 25th-Sun. Feb 27th @ Friday evening, all day Saturday, Sunday morningCost: Fri: $595, Saturday & Sunday (Seminars only) $750, Sat & Sun (including Gala dinner) $975
       Contact: (561) 742-8904.

      Michael Broadbent (MW, Author, Christies' Senior Consultant and Director) moderates these exquisite once-in-a-lifetime tastings:Friday 7pm - 10:30 -- Quinta Do Noval & Nacional tasting, including the legendary 1931 vintage, buffet dinn...more..

        Click here for full Miami calendar.
       Article Title: To Have and To Hoard

      If you love wine, people assume you collect it. I don’t happen to collect anything, but studies say fully one third of us do, be it Hummel figurines, Coke memorabilia or Picassos. What was once a hobby for merchants and kings is common sport now that today’s trash is so quickly tomorrow’s collectible and fortunes are made and lost on Beanie Babies.

      The urge to collect seems to be hard-wired. Like other biological imperatives—-eating and sex come to mind—-sometimes it goes haywire. It’s a small step from a cellar of premier cru to a house full of cats and old National Geographics.

      No doubt the hoarding instinct develope...
      Read this article.

      By: Jennifer Rosen
      About the author:Jennifer Rosen writes a weekly wine column for the Rocky Mountain News which also flies around the planet on the internet. As a wine educator and entertainer she travels the world spreading the Word (Drink Wine.) (Oh, wait, that’s two words). She speaks French, stutters Italian, German, Spanish and Arabic, and works off the job perks with belly dancing and trapeze.

       "I don't drink; I don't like it ~ it makes me feel good."
      ~~ Oscar Levant
      --
      Excerpt from Vintage Humor for Wine Lovers by Malcolm Kushner

      Tell a Friend | Change Email | Feedback

      Submit Wine Events | >Wine Classifieds Wine Education | Wine Vacations | Wine for Sale | Accessory | FAQ's Wine Newsletters | Wine Books | > Magazines | Links | Be Notified of Events | Tell a Friend | >Press | History | Kudos | Contact us | >My Favorites | Site Map
      Copyright © 2000-2004, LocalWineEvents.com
    • TheJuice@localwineevents.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
        Local Wine Events: Update Email
        The Juice for Miami
        Hello Miami,
         In this issue of The Juice:
           * Special Notice
           * Wine Quiz Question
           * Calendar of Miami food/wine events
           * Ongoing Miami food/wine events
           * Article: What is True Ice Wine?
           * Tidbits: Wine Humor-Wine FAQs
           * Wine Quiz Answer
           * Unsubscribe Information

        You don’t get many chances like this!

        The Great Wine Seminar

        There are way too many fabulous wines at this event to detail here.
        Check this listing for full details

        A few notes.
        Clive Coates MW will take us thru our 21st anniversary tasting starting with a Once in a Lifetime tasting of Ch. Haut Brion.

        Jean-Phillipe Delmas will then walk us thru the wines representing about 50 years .

        Saturday morning the main event begins with Ch La Mission Haut Brion followed by Domaine Ponsot\'s Clos de la Roche hosted by Laurent Ponsot himself.
        We finish off the day with Dom Perignon followed by our gourmet dinner with Chef Brad Kelley.

        Sunday morning Rupert Symington will take through a Grahams port tasting with vintages going back 1945.

        March 10-12th, 2006

        Marriott West Palm Beach
        1001 Okeechobee Boulevard
        West Palm Beach, Fl. 33401

        This is a magical weekend for a very small group- however we still have some seats available.
        Today is the last day for early bird pricing. BUY NOW!!
        http://www.localwineevents.com/Palm-Beach-Wine/event-77733.html

         Wine Quiz: Which state is not one of the "Big Four" states in the production of American wine?

          A. California
          B. Washington State
          C. New York
          D. Oregon
          E. Florida
         Some info may be cut short due to size constraints.
        Click here for full Miami calendar.

         NEW Event: Bordeaux Tasting - Vino Miami (Miami Beach)Place: VINO Miami
         Date: Feb 02, 2006 (Thu) @ 7:30City: Miami Beach
         Contact: 786-207-8466
        Cost: $50

        Vino Miami and Prestige Chateaux's & Domains Invite You to a Bordeaux Tasting Event! . More information and to RSVP: http://www.vinomiami.com/Bordeaux.htm Cheers. VINO Miami A Symbol of Good Taste more http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-78132.html

         NEW Event: Easy Style Cooking with Asian Flair - Miami Design DistrictPlace: D'Vine District Restaurant, Wine&Tapas Bar
         Date: Feb 08, 2006 (Wed) @ 7:00pm-10:00pmCity: Miami Design District
         Contact: 305-865-9297
        Cost: $65 per person incl., four dishes with wine tastings

        Celebrate Valentine at this cozy French wine&tapas bar with Eleanor for an unforgettable three hours. Learn a new & unique approach to wok cooking that encourages personal creativity, time spent with family & friends and puts the fun back into cooki...more http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-78064.html

        Event: Great Wines of ItalyPlace: Coral Gables Country Club
         Date: Feb 09, 2006 (Thu) to Feb 10, 2006 (Fri) @ 10.30 AM - 7 PMCity: Coral Gables
         Contact: 305-577-9868
        Cost:

        Buy Your Tickets Online!

        Thursday, February 9 10:30 – 10:45 am Registration and check-in 10:45 – 11:00 am Presentation of Great Wines of Italy 2006. Welcome Message from the Consul General of Italy in Miami, Hon. Gianfranco Colognato, and from the Mayor of the City of Coral...more http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-75594.html

         Event: South Beach Wine & Food FestivalPlace: Various locations - see website
         Date: Feb 24, 2006 (Fri) to Feb 26, 2006 (Sun) @ VariousCity: Miami
         Contact: Tickets 305-460-6563
        Cost:

        The South Beach Wine & Food Festival, ! presented by Food & Wine magazine, invites the world to attend South Florida’s premier culinary extravaganza. With some of the planet’s greatest chefs, winemakers, spirits producers, culinary personalities and ot...more http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-69669.html

         Event: Bobby Flay & Friends Moet & Chandon BubbleQ - Delano HotelPlace: Delano Hotel
         Date: Feb 24, 2006 (Fri) @ 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.City: Miami/South Beach
         Contact: (877) 762-3933
        Cost: $300

        Set beneath the stars and alongside the azure waters! of the Delano Hotel'sprivate beach, the BubbleQ offers top-notch cuisine complemented with theperfect atmosphere. And making the event an all-star affair is the ever-affable, super-telegenic, yout...more http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-72123.html

         Click here for full Miami calendar.
         Click here for full Miami calendar.

         EventCity
         Friday "Flight of the Night" - Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & ...Coral Gables

         Click here for full Miami calendar.
         Article Title: What is True Ice Wine?
        One would expect ice wine to have a long history in winemaking, but it does not. In fact, ice wine has only been around for about 200 years. The prevailing theory of its “birth” centers on a German winemaker who was surprised by an early frost. He decided to press the frozen grapes anyway, but separated them from the rest of his vintage so as to avoid ruining everything. To his surprise, the resulting wine was pure and sweet.

        Ever since, i...
        Read this article.

        By: Emily Schindler
        About th! e author:Emily Schindler is a partner at the wine import company Schindler Weissman Co., which is based in Los Angeles, California.

        Question:
        I read some years ago of a Rhine Valley wine made from, I believe, raisins. It went by the moniker of TBA, an abbreviation of the longer German name that was a mouthful of 10+ letters. It's dessert wine I think. Can you help?
        Answer:
        A TROCKENBEERENAUSLESE German wine is abbreviated TBA. It is the most costly, rarest and sweetest of the six German "Pradikat" highest quality wines--that are never artificially sweetened or blended--and can only be made in great vintage years when there is enough sunshine several weeks past the normal harvest time for the grapes to be shriveled to "raisins" by the sun and the "noble rot" fungus called "botrytis" which occurs! naturally. That's a mouthful! And a Trockenbeerenauslese is quite a delicious mouthful of sweet, golden-colored, honey flavored (from the botrytis) dessert wine--one of the greatest in the world. Usually sold in small half-bottles because it is expensive. It literally is dessert--and is served chilled, and sipped out of small glasses after a meal or with bread pudding, pecan pie, pound cake and fruit, crème caramel etc. Go to any fine wine store and look in their locked wine vault. The U.S. and other countries make a similar wine but cannot call it by the German name so look for the RIESLING grape, and the English words: "Select Late Harvest" or Botrytis on the label. It will still be rare and expensive.
        --
        Excerpt from Wine Faqs: Real Questions-Real Answers by Anita L. Laraia- www.anitalaraia.com

         Wine Quiz Answer:  E. Florida

        Contributor: Kevin Zraly
        The founder and teacher of the immensely popular Windows on the World Wine School that has graduated over 16,000 students since its inception. He has been teaching wine for over 30 years, beginning at the age of 20, and has studied wine-making techniques in California and all the great wine regions of Europe.
        www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0806976497/localwineeven-20

        Unsubscribe-Miami | Unsubscribe-ALL

        Tell a Friend | Change Email | Feedback
        Copyright © 2000-2005, LocalWineEvents.com
      • TheJuice@localwineevents.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2007
          The Juice for Miami, sponsored by 90+ Point Wines under $19.99. !!! Low Shipping !!!

          Hello Miami,

          In this week's issue of The Juice:

          * Wine Quiz Question
          * Calendar of Miami food/wine events
          * Ongoing Miami food/wine events
          * Article:
          * Article:
          * Tidbits: Wine Humor/Wine FAQs
          * Wine Quiz Answer
          * Unsubscribe Information

          Wine Quiz Question

          What is verjus (or verjuice)?

          A. Frozen grape juice.
          B. Vermouth
          C. Marinade made from unripe grapes.
          D. De-alcoholized wine.

          Featured Events

          Event: <span id='blueText'>NEW!!</span> California Dreamin' @ Vine Wine Shop!

          City: Miami
          Date: Feb 02, 2007 (Fri)
          Cost: $20.

          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114542.html

          Events

          NOTE: Some info may be cut short due to size constraints.
          For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

          NEW!! Event: Richard's Boutique Int Fine Boutique Wine Tasting

          Date: Jan 31, 2007 (Wed) @ 8:00 PM Sharp
          Place: The Best Cellar
          City: Fort Lauderdale
          Cost: $10 pp (free with the purchase of wine)
          Type: Wine

          This week we will be enjoying some elite Cabernets from California as well as zinfandels and other choice boutique wines from around the worl...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114690.html

          NEW!! Event: Richard's Boutique Int Fine Boutique Wine Tasting

          Date: Feb 01, 2007 (Thu) @ 8:00 PM Sharp
          Place: The Best Cellar

          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114691.html

          *** NEW!! Event: California Dreamin' @ Vine Wine Shop! ***

          Date: Feb 02, 2007 (Fri) @ 8 PM
          Place: Vine Wine Shop & Tasting Loft
          City: Miami
          Cost: $20.
          Type: Wine

          CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'California is one of the most diverse wine regions in the world, with almost 100 grape varietals grown. Add some very individualist...

          more:

          Date: Feb 02, 2007 (Fri) @ 8:00 PM Sharp
          Place: The Best Cellar
          City: Fort Lauderdale
          Cost: $10 pp (free with the purchase of wine)
          Type: Wine

          This week we will be enjoying some elite Cabernets from California as well as zinfandels and other choice boutique wines from around the worl...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114692.html

          NEW!! Event: Richard's Boutique Int Fine Boutique Wine Tasting

          Date: Feb 03, 2007 (Sat) @ 8:00 PM Sharp
          Place: The Best Cellar
          City: Fort Lauderdale
          Cost: $10 pp (free with the purchase of wine)
          Type: Wine

          This week we will be enjoying some elite Cabernets from California as well as zinfandels and other choice boutique wines from around the worl...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114693.html

          NEW!! Event: Super Bowl Party for Fine Wine & Beer Lovers

          Date: Feb 04, 2007 (Sun) @ 5:30pm
          Place: Premier Wine Club
          City: Miami
          Cost: $20pp (includes unlimited food)
          Type: Wine

          Come to the Superbowl party designed for wine lovers! Enjoy the game on our 10 ft wide HDTV screen, and accompany it with our superb appetizers as wel...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114732.html

          Event: Wine Fundamentals/Sommelier Certification

          Date: Feb 05, 2007 (Mon) to May 14, 2007 (Mon) @ Every Monday 4:30-11:00pm
          Place: Miami Dade College/Kendall Campus
          City: Miami
          Cost: Level 1 and 2 combined - $1,500.00
          Type: Wine

          This program, currently offered in locations across North America, is the first of its kind in South Florida. International Sommelier Guild has been ...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-111207.html

          Event: Great Wines of Italy 2007

          Date: Feb 07, 2007 (Wed) to Feb 08, 2007 (Thu) @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
          Place: Double Tree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
          City: Miami
          Cost:
          Type: Wine

          The second edition of the exclusive showcase of Italian wines will feature a rich program of seminars and guided wine tasting. Great Wines of Italy wi...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-111921.html

          NEW!! Event: "Great Wines of Italy" trade fair and wine tasting

          Date: Feb 07, 2007 (Wed) to Feb 08, 2007 (Thu) @ 6:00 PM
          Place: DoubleTree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
          City: Miami
          Cost: $30.00 covers both days
          Type: Wine

          More than 40 high-end Italian wineries will showcase some of the country�s most renowned wines in the �Great Wines of Italy� trade fair and wine tasti...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114137.html

          NEW!! Event: Great wines of Italy

          Date: Feb 07, 2007 (Wed) to Feb 08, 2007 (Thu) @ 10:45 to 8:00 p.m.
          Place: DoubleTree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay
          City: Miami
          Cost: The trade portion of the event is open to professionals thro...
          Type: Wine

          More than 40 high-end Italian wineries will showcase some of the country�s most renowned wines. The two-day event targets wine and hospitality profess...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114270.html

          NEW!! Event: Wine Tasting Dinner

          Date: Feb 07, 2007 (Wed) @ 730
          Place: El Pimiento
          City: Miami Lakes
          Cost: 65
          Type: Wine

          Come enjoy some wonderful wines from Spain paired with delicious tapas and authentic Spanish cuisine. El Pimiento is small and cozy, just right!

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114359.html

          Event: Carnival in Venice February 16 - 23, 2007

          Date: Feb 16, 2007 (Fri) to Feb 23, 2007 (Fri) @ arrival in Venice
          Place: Venice and Parma, Italy
          City: Sarasota
          Cost: Starting at $3295. pp (double occupancy)
          Type: Combo

          Experience the sensual and unique splendor during the amazing Carnival of Venice. This is the time when the famed Venetian masks leave their hanging p...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-100668.html

          NEW!! Event: Wines from Down Under @ Vine Wine Shop!

          Date: Feb 16, 2007 (Fri) @ 8 PM
          Place: Vine Wine Shop & Tasting Loft
          City: Miami
          Cost: $20.
          Type: Wine

          WINES from DOWN UNDER -- the Ravensvale Portfolio! Ravensvale Group founder and owner Jane Delany will be back again by popular demand to present some...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-114544.html

          Event: 2007 Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival

          Date: Feb 22, 2007 (Thu) to Feb 25, 2007 (Sun) @ Various
          Place: Miami Beach
          City: Miami Beach
          Cost: $35 - $1,225
          Type: Combo

          South Florida in all its gastronomic magnificence goes on display in the most extravagant and exciting way when the Food Network South Beach Wine & Fo...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-112414.html

          Event: Monthly Wine Tasting at the Elks Lodge on Sunset Drive

          Date: Feb 28, 2007 (Wed) @ 7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
          Place: Miami Elks Lodge #948
          City: Miami
          Cost: $12 in advance, $15 at the door
          Type: Wine

          Please join us for Love Those South African Vineyards on February 28th at 7:00 p.m. in the lovely Crystal Room at the Elks lodge. Enjoy Chef Jane's fa...

          more:
          http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-112512.html

          For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

          Ongoing Events

          For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

          Premier Wine Club Thursday Tastings (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-95160.html)
          Ladies Night Out (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-105194.html)
          Wine & Tapas Wednesday's at The Boulevard - An American Bist... (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-106006.html)
          University of Miami Wine Appreciation Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109449.html)
          University of Miami Wine Appreciation Program (http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/event-109453.html)

          For full calendar visit: http://www.localwineevents.com/Miami-Wine/

          Wine Articles

          Article Title: Notes from a recovering Terroir Junkie (A terroir primer)

          Notes from a (recovering) terroir Junkie, by Rich Collins, Thirst Productions. I�ll admit, I am enthralled with the more romantic aspects of wine, the pop of a (real) cork, the taste, the swirl, the experience of wine. Terroir is just another romanticized component of the wine experience that has become an interesting topic of sorts these days. Haven�t heard of the T-word? It�s possible, though the terroir idea is explored more frequently ...

          Read this article: http://www.localwineevents.com/Wine-Articles/200-1.html
          By: Rich

          About the author:
          cation company, Thirst Productions (www.thirstproductions.com) that will be up in running by July of 2006, focusing in wine education, wine writing and publication, and other exciting wine themes.

          Tidbits

          "A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine, except that on a day without sunshine you can still get drunk."
          ~~ Lee Entrekin.

          Excerpt from Vintage Humor for Wine Lovers by Malcolm Kushner
          Buy at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0970459890/localwineeven-20

          Wine Quiz Answer

          C. Marinade made from unripe grapes.

          Verjus is ordered every year before harvest from Oregon wineries by American chefs who use it to impart unique flavor--similar to white wine vinegar--to sauces, or as a marinade. The Australians even use it to tenderize Kangaroo meat. Sold in gourmet shops, it is made from the hard, green, young grapes that have not begun to ripen. It can only be made if one has access to a vineyard whose owner does a "green harvest".

          Contributor: Anita LaRaia
          Director of Anita LaRaia\'s Wine School for the public and wine trade in Atlanta for over two decades www.anitalaraia.com Her diploma course is approved for 30CE Hours by ACF and her wine articles appear online at chefs.com She is the author of Wine FAQs and the fun, colorful, new 288 page paperback \"Pick A Perfect Wine In No Time\" (Que, $16.95) which is available in bookstores, featured in June 2006 issue of Real Simple magazine, and rated 5 Stars in Amazon.com reviews.

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789733269/localwineeven-20/002-5955214-9238411

          Change Email Address:
          http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/login.php

          Tell a Friend:
          http://www.LocalWineEvents.com/tell_a_friend.php

          Sent to: miamiwine@yahoogroups.com

          Copyright � 2000-2004, LocalWineEvents.com