wine tastings?

  • yrdl22 <yrdl22@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Does anyone know of any tastings this week?
    • Carl Kruse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        There's a tasting at Wolfe's tomorrow to coincide with the Coral Gables
        gallery walk and there is also the regular tasting with Barry at 7pm at the
        Mayfair in the Grove.

        I'll post the Wolfe's tasting info in a sec.

        Happy New Year to all!

        Carl

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003

          Gallery Walk
          Friday January 3rd Bodegas Castano Tasting
          7:00pm-9:00pm
          Throughout its history, Bodegas Castaño has taken a special interest in preserving,
          caring for and encouraging the Monastrell grape, a variety whose potential for wines
          of superb quality that they have always believed in. They have demonstrated its versatility with respect to the types of wine that can be obtained. Bodegas Castano supported this development which, with time and selectivity, has firmly established the Monastrell grape in Yecla. Currently it comprises 80% of the 300 hectares under production, the remaining 20%coming from the Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Garnacha Tintorera and Tempranillo for red wine and Macabeo and Chardonnay for the whites.
          We’ll taste the 2001 Solanera, Hecula and Monastrell, all great value wines, all great on the post holiday wallet and pocket book!
          Review by Robert Parker Wine Advocate #141 (Jun 2002) Rating: 93 points Drink 2002-2010
          There are 8,500 cases of the unfined, unfiltered, prodigious 2001 Solanera, a blend of 70% ungrafted, old vine Monastrell, and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a custom cuvee specifically bottled for the American importer, Eric Solomon. It spent nearly a year in French oak, 20% of which was new. Its opaque, inky purple color is followed by glorious aromas of blue and blackberries intermixed with graphite, minerals, smoke, and scorched earth. It is splendidly concentrated and full-bodied, with no hard edges. This extraordinary wine can be drunk now, and over the next 6-8 years. This is a cutting edge effort from one of Spain's backwater, but soon to be famous appellations.
          Review by Robert Parker Wine Advocate #141 (Jun 2002) Rating: 91 points Drink 2002-2007
          The 2001 Hecula (4,500 cases) was fashioned from 100% Monastrell (Mourvedre), non-irrigated, 40-year old vines. It was bottled with neither fining nor filtration after spending eight months in used French and American barrels. This amazing red possesses sweetness, suppleness, and superb purity, no small accomplishment for the normally astringent, tough-textured Mourvedre. Notes of graphite, blackberries, cassis, leather, barbecue spice, and smoke are followed by an earthy, rich, full-bodied, silky-textured wine that caresses the palate. It should drink well for 4-5 years. This is a cutting edge effort from one of Spain's backwater, but soon to be famous appellations.
          .$10 gets you in and gets you a Spiegelau Wine Glass to take home. Call or E-mail to RSVP
          jeffrey wolfe
          jeffrey@...
          WOLFE’S WINE SHOPPE
          124 miracle mile