Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: DNA/Genealogy et al

  • sangerjaime@...
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 20, 2013
      Armando,

      Phenotype is the genetic physical expression or features, be they Euro, NA, African etc.  Genotype is the body of chromosomes/genes that make up your constitution.  That is why in many families, siblings do not look alike.  One may look Euro and the other one may look more Mestizo. Again, phenotoype!!  Hope his helps!!

      Jaime Rendon Hernandez

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 20, 2013

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 21, 2013
          Yes Jaime is right on and regarding the haplogroup tree, the tree at 23andme is outdated. With FTDNA you can test your deep haplogroup ancestry (ie YDNA and Mtdna) and find out where your are in the tree using the latest Markers (single Nucleotide Polymorphisms).

          The advantage with testing with 23andme from an ancestry point of view is the autosomal results and finding out where your closest matches come from and your degree of relationship. The Ancestry Composition which tells you your genetic makeup as it relates to populations around the world is interesting as well.

          Generally speaking J1 is middle eastern origin and B2 is found more on the western coast of the Americas.

> [...]
        • Heriberto Escamilla
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 21, 2013
            Hola Gary, thanks for the site; to follow up on your response to Jaime, how does 23andme autosomal analysis compare to Family Tree DNA's Family finder/ Do you know if one or the other is more current or accurate?

            Heriberto (Beto) Escamilla

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 21, 2013
              Hola Beto,
              FTDNA's autosomal testing is still in the Beta or testing phase. 23andme's autosomal is superior but both have their deficiencies. For admixed populations autosomal testing is particularly difficult. FTDNA is still calling our Euro heritage, Eastern European in origin. 23andme is more accurate in showing our Iberian ancestry with little to no Eastern Euro in our autosomal makeup. 23andme still leaves some DNA unassigned or un-classified.

              The ancestry breakdown at 23andme is more specific comparing your results with many more populations. They are developing quite a database with a 99 dollar price tag so comparisons should improve.

              Since Robert Tarin is developing a matrix that will compare Mexico project members who have taken the Family Finder test at FTDNA you will be able to see at a glance who you are related to in the project. This is a feature 23andme does not have since they do not have geographical projects. You can see what I have done on the Family Finder link to the left of this page but my computer ran out of memory and I have not updated it in a while.

              --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Heriberto Escamilla <betoescamilla@...> wrote:

              > Hola Gary, thanks for the site; to follow up on your response to Jaime, how does 23andme autosomal analysis compare to Family Tree DNA's Family finder/ Do you know if one or the other is more current or accurate?
              >
              > Heriberto (Beto) Escamilla
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Heriberto Escamilla
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 21, 2013
                Thanks Gary, I am assuming that since it is being tested, FTDNA's analysis will improve, but I was just wondering if there was any value of doing the 23andme test for comparison

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 22, 2013
                  Your welcome Beto,
                  the test at 23andme.com is well worth taking as you get health related reports and a larger database to compare your ancestry with.

                  Gary

                  --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Heriberto Escamilla <betoescamilla@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Gary, I am assuming that since it is being tested, FTDNA's analysis will improve, but I was just wondering if there was any value of doing the 23andme test for comparison
                  >
                  > Beto
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Orfa Salinas
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 22, 2013
                    Gary, do you know how the 23andme test compares to the ancestry.com autosomal test? I noticed you mentioned that health issues are addressed in the 23andme test. I am waiting for the results to the ancestry.com test but I do know they said that medical data is not included.
                      Orfa

                    "People usually hate what they don't understand."
                    Moses ibn Ezra

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 22, 2013
                      Hi Orfa,
                      I have not tested with ancestry.com but you can do a search at rootsweb dna list:
                      http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop&path=GENEALOGY-DNA

                      You can type in "autosomal" "ancestry.com" on the body line, for this year. I have participated in this email group for the last 10 years.

                      Gary

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 22, 2013
                        Orfa,
                        here is a better search with ancestry.com and autosomal on the subject line instead:
                        http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2012-05/1337696669

                        Gary

                        --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "garyf@..." <garyf@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Orfa,
                        > I have not tested with ancestry.com but you can do a search at rootsweb dna list:
                        > http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop&path=GENEALOGY-DNA
                        >
                        > You can type in "autosomal" "ancestry.com" on the body line, for this year. I have participated in this email group for the last 10 years.
                        >
                        > Gary
                        >
                        > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Orfa Salinas <osalinas3@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Gary, do you know how the 23andme test compares to the ancestry.com autosomal test? I noticed you mentioned that health issues are addressed in the 23andme test. I am waiting for the results to the ancestry.com test but I do know they said that medical data is not included.
                        > >   Orfa
                        > >
                        > > "People usually hate what they don't understand."
                        > > Moses ibn Ezra
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Joel Peres
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 22, 2013
                          I tested w/ ancestry, I don't think its as accurate as 23andme or even FTDNA's Population Finder.  Nonetheless, it's pretty cool how they're able to tell who your common ancestor is on some of your matches.

                          On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM, garyf@... <garyf@...> wrote:

                          Orfa,
                          here is a better search with ancestry.com and autosomal on the subject line instead:
                          http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2012-05/1337696669

                          Gary

                          --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "garyf@..." <garyf@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Orfa,
                          > I have not tested with ancestry.com but you can do a search at rootsweb dna list:
                          > http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/search?aop&path=GENEALOGY-DNA
                          >
                          > You can type in "autosomal" "ancestry.com" on the body line, for this year. I have participated in this email group for the last 10 years.
                          >
                          > Gary
                          >
                          > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Orfa Salinas <osalinas3@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Gary, do you know how the 23andme test compares to the ancestry.com autosomal test? I noticed you mentioned that health issues are addressed in the 23andme test. I am waiting for the results to the ancestry.com test but I do know they said that medical data is not included.
                          > >   Orfa
                          > >
                          > > "People usually hate what they don't understand."
                          > > Moses ibn Ezra
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________

                        • Peggy Deras
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 23, 2013
                            Here's an International Society of Genetic Genealogy Autosomal DNA
                            testing comparison chart that compares all of the Autosomal testing
                            services in one chart.
                            Interesting. According to the results 23&Me is far and away better at
                            7.5 of 10.

                            Unfortunately I used Ancestry for myself and FTDNA for my uncle.
                            Can I get some help here comparing the results to each other?

                            Peggy

                            http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart
                          • Erica Stewart
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 23, 2013
                              Thanks, interesting chart. I've tested people on FTDNA and Ancestry's autosomal tests, and prefer the Ancestry test, specifically because they have come up with thousands of possible matches, compared to FTDNA's 200+/-.

                               Ancestry doesn't have a chromosome browser, but I wasn't looking for that level of scientific comparison, but rather confirmation of relationships for various branches of my family tree.  I have 20-30 matches for each main surname.

                              I might try the 23andme, for myself, just for additional information. That 7.5 overall rating, though, is for "Overall accuracy and sophistication of the biogeographical ancestry analysis" , not for the test as a whole.

                              On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Peggy Deras <pderas@...> wrote:
                              Here's an International Society of Genetic Genealogy Autosomal DNA
                              testing comparison chart that compares all of the Autosomal testing
                              services in one chart.
                              Interesting. According to the results 23&Me is far and away better at
                              7.5 of 10.

                              Unfortunately I used Ancestry for myself and FTDNA for my uncle.
                              Can I get some help here comparing the results to each other?

                              Peggy

                              http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  MexicoDNAProject-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  MexicoDNAProject-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Armando Romero
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 24, 2013
                                Gary,

                                Being that I have already done the 23andme, I have decided that I also want to submit a sample to FTDNA. Which kit do you suggest I order? There is plenty of options and I am not sure which one would be beneficial?

                                J1- 267 Y-DNA
                                B2

                                thanks,
                                Armando

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  Your welcome Armando,
                                  I would suggest going with at least 37 markers on your Y line. There are Cohen matches in the HRD database out of Chihuahua if you check the comments section on the Sephardic Cohen of Mexico Table on the Project page.
                                  http://garyfelix.tripod.com/index63.htm#MarquezA

                                  If you go with a Mtdna test I would suggest a full Mtdna sequence as this gives us the best chance of finding a founder line.

                                • Armando Romero
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 24, 2013
                                    thanks Gary! I'll be ordering 37 markers and have my sister order the full mtDNA sequence.

                                  • Dahlia Palacios
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      Gary,
                                      Great information on this site that I had not looked at before. I now see 12 markers that completely match up for Rodrigo Cantu and Javier Ramirez. I have always wondered why this Rodrigo Cantu's line did not match up to my Cantu line, well it does happen that they Rodrigo Cantu has Ramirez in their line as well. I shall attempt to contact Jose Guerra (name on the Javier Ramirez's data)Of interest is that both of them have ancestors from Reynosa.
                                      Great site
                                      Dahlia Guajardo-Cantu de Palacios

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 24, 2013
                                        That would be great Dahlia if we can trace the surname change(s) of this Cantu line to the surname that originally came to the Americas with this Cohen haplotype.