Re: Thoughts or Ideas from new Eyes please Gary or ?

  • Peggy Deras
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
      Gary,
      How long does an overlapping segment need to be to indicate a common ancestor in the Chromosome browser?
      I did the tutorial in the Chromosome browser, but I don't really "get" it.
      It seems as though physically longer segments don't necessarily translate into numerically  longer segments.

      Peggy

      Tue Sep 3, 2013 7:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "garyf@..." garyf@...

      Hi Teddi,
      > Basically is the guy below-Alberto M. (who is related on our
      > Sanchez Y 36/37) AND the two FF 3rd cousins---Alfred Sanchez and
      > Arthur Contreras---does this mean that these 3 guys most likely
      share
      > grt grt grandparents? (Alfred and Arthur are 1st cousins to each
      > other). I don't even KNOW who Alberto M. is!

      They all could be a different gggrandparent and they may not be a gggrandparent as these are estimates. The way to find out if there is a common ancestor between these lines is to use the Chromosome browser to see if you have an overlapping segment and how long is it.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2013
        Hi Peggy,
        some SNP's take up a lot of real estate so they appear longer than others with the same amount of SNP's.

        As a general rule I would use lengths of 5cM or you risk being identical by state or IBS rather than descent IBD. Of course the more cM's the better.