DNA Genealogy

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hello all, my Mothers family is from the area of Trincheras Sonora Mexico. They emigrated in 1919. My grandfather and his three brothers ran a gold mine called El Boludo. I've been able to trace this side back six generations to the Murrieta brothers who settled here in the late 1700's. Family names are Grijalva, Moreno, Celaya, Romero, Bejarano, Vejar, Valenzuela and Murrieta. We are Papago and Yaqui mixed.

      My fathers side Burquez has been a puzzle and I've never been able to go much further than him and his parents. He was also of Apache heritage. Due to this I've ventured into the DNA world for sometime. My Haplo groups are:

      Q-M3 or Q1a3a1

      MTDNA B2g1

      I was only able to find matches in the Family finder test. This test was actually real good. Although some people I've tried to contact, didn't respond.

      Here is a good link for Sonora search's Family members are Salvador Grijalva and Leonor Murieta.

      http://www.colson.edu.mx:8080/testamentos/Principal.aspx
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hello Christopher,
        this explains why I could not find any close matches on your YDNA results. Small isolated old populations like the Apache will develop their own distinctive DNA, this is called genetic drift. We are lucky to have your YDNA as reference point for this tribe.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
          Thanks Gary, that also explains why I haven't made any matches either!! Too bad there aren't more Native American databases. There was one I found a number of years ago cvalled Indigenous DNA.

          http://indigenousdna.genebase.com/index.php

          They allowed an uploading of my data, and you could compare the various tribe data though their journals. Their journals included all the asian country and more not specific to just Native Americans. They now won't let you search until you order a DNA kit.

          Do you know anything about this group???

          Thanks,

          --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "garyf@..." <garyf@...> wrote:

          > Hello Christopher,
          > this explains why I could not find any close matches on your YDNA results. Small isolated old populations like the Apache will develop their own distinctive DNA, this is called genetic drift. We are lucky to have your YDNA as reference point for this tribe.
          >
          > Saludos,
          > Gary
          >
          > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <cburquez@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all, my Mothers family is from the area of Trincheras Sonora Mexico. They emigrated in 1919. My grandfather and his three brothers ran a gold mine called El Boludo. I've been able to trace this side back six generations to the Murrieta brothers who settled here in the late 1700's. Family names are Grijalva, Moreno, Celaya, Romero, Bejarano, Vejar, Valenzuela and Murrieta. We are Papago and Yaqui mixed.
          > >
          > > My fathers side Burquez has been a puzzle and I've never been able to go much further than him and his parents. He was also of Apache heritage. Due to this I've ventured into the DNA world for sometime. My Haplo groups are:
          > >
          > > Q-M3 or Q1a3a1
          > >
          > > MTDNA B2g1
          > >
          > > I was only able to find matches in the Family finder test. This test was actually real good. Although some people I've tried to contact, didn't respond.
          > >
          > > Here is a good link for Sonora search's Family members are Salvador Grijalva and Leonor Murieta.
          > >
          > > http://www.colson.edu.mx:8080/testamentos/Principal.aspx

        • Orfa Salinas
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
            This message is for Christopher. My mother's brother's yDNA matches yours. I'd been wondering how a person could figure out what tribe they belong to or if all NA had the same haplogroup. I'm not home so I can't double check but I know it's Q1a3a (it's the last 1 I'm not sure of). FTDNA did further testing on it for free for the Q-M3 group.
               Orfa

            "People usually hate what they don't understand."
            Moses ibn Ezra

            --- In mailto:MexicoDNAProject%40yahoogroups.com, "garyf@..." <garyf@...> wrote:

            > Hello Christopher,
            > this explains why I could not find any close matches on your YDNA results. Small isolated old populations like the Apache will develop their own distinctive DNA, this is called genetic drift. We are lucky to have your YDNA as reference point for this tribe.
            >
            > Saludos,
            > Gary
            >
            > --- In mailto:MexicoDNAProject%40yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <cburquez@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all, my Mothers family is from the area of Trincheras Sonora Mexico. They emigrated in 1919. My grandfather and his three brothers ran a gold mine called El Boludo. I've been able to trace this side back six generations to the Murrieta brothers who settled here in the late 1700's. Family names are Grijalva, Moreno, Celaya, Romero, Bejarano, Vejar, Valenzuela and Murrieta. We are Papago and Yaqui mixed.
            > >
            > > My fathers side Burquez has been a puzzle and I've never been able to go much further than him and his parents. He was also of Apache heritage. Due to this I've ventured into the DNA world for sometime. My Haplo groups are:
            > >
            > > Q-M3 or Q1a3a1
            > >
            > > MTDNA B2g1
            > >
            > > I was only able to find matches in the Family finder test. This test was actually real good. Although some people I've tried to contact, didn't respond.
            > >
            > > Here is a good link for Sonora search's Family members are Salvador Grijalva and Leonor Murieta.
            > >
            > > http://www.colson.edu.mx:8080/testamentos/Principal.aspx

          • Armando Romero
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
              Hi Christopher,

              My paternal Romero line comes from Chihuahua but I have not been able to go farther than 1880. What is the story on your Romero?
              My Gedmatch #M232136

              thanks,
              Armando

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                Orfa, I've never been able to find a tribe per our DNA results. The Apache was verbal information passed down from my father. Although Family finder did categorize my native heritage as Maya, however I think this is a general group used to place people in and not specific to any tribes???

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                  I have two Romero lineages, My great grandfather (paternal) Salvador Grijalva was married to Petra Romero. And Luis Romero married to Brijida Bejarano Great Great Grandparents(maternal). Both early 1800's to 1850. The Romero's per some cousins who are Moreno's say they are Tohono Oodom (papago) from the Romero lineage, at least in Sonora. Many crossed back and forth from Chihuahua.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                    my Romero is Inocente Romero Dob 1880- Santa Isabel, Chih. His dad is Doroteo Romero. Can't find a paper trail for Doroteo.

                    On Jun 22, 2013, at 7:48 PM, "Christopher" <cburquez@...> wrote:

                    I have two Romero lineages, My great grandfather (paternal) Salvador Grijalva was married to Petra Romero. And Luis Romero married to Brijida Bejarano Great Great Grandparents(maternal). Both early 1800's to 1850. The Romero's per some cousins who are Moreno's say they are Tohono Oodom (papago) from the Romero lineage, at least in Sonora. Many crossed back and forth from Chihuahua.

                    --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Armando Romero <armandolromero@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Christopher,
                    >
                    > My paternal Romero line comes from Chihuahua but I have not been able to go
                    > farther than 1880. What is the story on your Romero?
                    > My Gedmatch #M232136
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > Armando
                    >

                    > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Christopher <cburquez@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hello all, my Mothers family is from the area of Trincheras Sonora Mexico.
                    > > They emigrated in 1919. My grandfather and his three brothers ran a gold
                    > > mine called El Boludo. I've been able to trace this side back six
                    > > generations to the Murrieta brothers who settled here in the late 1700's.
                    > > Family names are Grijalva, Moreno, Celaya, Romero, Bejarano, Vejar,
                    > > Valenzuela and Murrieta. We are Papago and Yaqui mixed.
                    > >
                    > > My fathers side Burquez has been a puzzle and I've never been able to go
                    > > much further than him and his parents. He was also of Apache heritage. Due
                    > > to this I've ventured into the DNA world for sometime. My Haplo groups are:
                    > >
                    > > Q-M3 or Q1a3a1
                    > >
                    > > MTDNA B2g1
                    > >
                    > > I was only able to find matches in the Family finder test. This test was
                    > > actually real good. Although some people I've tried to contact, didn't
                    > > respond.
                    > >
                    > > Here is a good link for Sonora search's Family members are Salvador
                    > > Grijalva and Leonor Murieta.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.colson.edu.mx:8080/testamentos/Principal.aspx

                  • Dahlia Palacios
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                      This message is for Christopher and Orfa.
                      I did my husbands last living uncle's YDNA a few years ago before he passed away at the age of 94,Tomas Flores born in Texas. My main interest was whether the original male was Indian on Mulatto. I have researched the Flores line back to

                       INDIO JOSEPH ANTONIO FLORES born about 1700 in Monclova, Coahuila, Mexico. The results were Q1A3A.
                      I was reading many records that read Mulatto or Mulatto libre and others read indio. My husbands grandfather always told the family that he was Indio and that results indicate he was correct.
                      I have not been able to relate this information to any tribe however.Please shed some light on this.
                      Thanks
                      Dahlia
                      Dahlia Guajardo-Cantu de Palacios

                      Orfa, I've never been able to find a tribe per our DNA results. The Apache was verbal information passed down from my father. Although Family finder did categorize my native heritage as Maya, however I think this is a general group used to place people in and not specific to any tribes???

                      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Orfa Salinas <osalinas3@...> wrote:

                      > This message is for Christopher. My mother's brother's yDNA matches yours. I'd been wondering how a person could figure out what tribe they belong to or if all NA had the same haplogroup. I'm not home so I can't double check but I know it's Q1a3a (it's the last 1 I'm not sure of). FTDNA did further testing on it for free for the Q-M3 group.
                      >    Orfa
                      >
                      > "People usually hate what they don't understand."
                      > Moses ibn Ezra
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Karen Rodriguez
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                        Hi,  my husband Chris actually did the DNA.  I am a Romero - I do not have any of your Romero names in my trees.

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                          Looks like your original ancestor was Indian. Mulatto was used for people with mixed African ancestry. I also heard that some Indians were labeled Mulatto, I'm not sure of that, but possible. Myself, I have African ancestry. This showed up in the Family Finder Test. It's hard to find your native roots, most has to be Verbal that was passed down. You can keep asking your elders, I finally squeezed some information out which helped out.

                          In Mexico native had to change and become Mexicans, and they had to hide it or possibly get killed. Part of my family was Yaqui. Yaqui names we used and recorded. I traced my 6th great grandmother to a Yaqui name Usacamea. Many Yaqui Names end in MEA. I was told to trace back to your native name, I guess I got lucky LOL.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                            Hi Karen,

                            Do your Romeros come from Chihuahua?

                            Thanks,
                            Armando

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                              DAHLIA,
                                My relatives were Francos from Agualeaguas in Nuevo Leon, Mexico. I checked my uncle's yDNA and it's Q1a3a. The only haplogroup that is solely Native American.
                                Orfa- I do have a Flores grandmother along the way.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                                Orfa and Christopher,

                                Thank you so much for your input. Yes, I have been told that Q1a3a is the  only haplogroup that is solely Native American. My husbands Flores line from Monclova,Coahuila eventually came from Revilla, Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas, Mexico then into Duval County around 1875 then Frio County,Texas then Charlotte, Atascosa, Texas.

                                Its amazing to see our ancestors travels.

                                  Thanks again

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                                  Wow. All of my father's family was from Revilla/Guerrero. He was born there because his mother would always go homd to give birth. My dad's four ancestors (paternal and maternal) were among the settlers and receivers of Spainish land grants. Orfa

                                  ----------

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 23, 2013
                                    Orfa,
                                    Give me some names I have quite a few books from Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas. I shall see if I have your family. Flores, Luna, Mesa,Ramirez,Serna,Silva,and Vela are some names I have in my data base.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      Your welcome Christopher,
                                      I am not familiar with this site.

                                      There are some published databases and I use this one as it has a good cross section of tribes:
                                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18161845

                                      We have this haplogropu Q Bejarano line which may be a descendant of Geronimo:
                                      http://garyfelix.tripod.com/index63.htm#BejaranoJL

                                      Judging by this very unique value of 10 at marker DYS393 his haplotype is unusual enough to be from an isolate like the Apache.
                                      The Apache are Na-dene speakers and believed to be more recent arrivals in the Americas coming in the second wave. Many DNA studies support this.

                                      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <cburquez@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks Gary, that also explains why I haven't made any matches either!! Too bad there aren't more Native American databases. There was one I found a number of years ago cvalled Indigenous DNA.
                                      >
                                      > http://indigenousdna.genebase.com/index.php
                                      >
                                      > They allowed an uploading of my data, and you could compare the various tribe data though their journals. Their journals included all the asian country and more not specific to just Native Americans. They now won't let you search until you order a DNA kit.
                                      >
                                      > Do you know anything about this group???
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,

                                    • Karen Rodriguez
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 24, 2013
                                        I am sorry, I don't have either of these gentlemen in my line.