Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: Pisaño from Ch ihuahua

  • Heriberto Escamilla
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2013
      Thanks mex1b; this is very interesting.

      I have often wondered about the contact between the meso-american peoples and the Que'chua or Incas of the Andes. We pretty much accept that the Toltecas of the 1st century interchanged with the people of Guatemala and the general area. We also pretty much accept that they also traded with the people of the American southwest,  in Arizona and New Mexico for example. But, I have not read much about the connection farther south. We know that corn was born in Mexico and somehow made it's away across the Americas and that was pretty early. That could have happened a number of ways.

      I think I mentioned before and I am sure many know that the Huicholes of the Sierra Madre each year make a pilgrimage to a place they call Wirikuta, in the state of San Luis Potosi. They say this is where their sun was born. They say they are originally from that area so they go back every year in remembrance. It is a holy place to them. In their journey, the rope (mecatle, mecate) is very important. Mecatl is a Nahuatl word used to represent "lineage"; chichi-mecatl, Toltecatl, etc. The Huicholes also use a rope in their confession ceremony, binding a knot for each regret (sin) they have committed along the way and then throwing it into a ceremonial fire. It is a way of limpiando, cleaning away sins. They do this in a public confession, with all of the pilgrims present. Anyway, they also use a rope to "document" their journey. They tie a knot to capture significant events along the pilgrimage. When they return to the community, they use the knot to recount their pilgrimage to those that stayed home.

      The Que'chua also had a holy place and they called it Viracocha. it is an actual physical place and place of refuge that evidently was never discovered by the early colonizers. Like the Huichol, or Wixarika and most indigenous groups, they were illiterate. But they did have a system of communication.I understand that they communicated across long distances through a system of knots tied on ropes. The color, size, location of the knots was a kind of code. The ropes were delivered by runners from one community to another.  The name of the place (wiricuta, viracocha) sound very similar and the use of the rope for communication also sounds intriguingly similar and suggestive of interchange.

      Now, I hope you grant me some poetic licence here. The strands of DNA are like ropes. Along the length of rope, there are knots (genetic markers) that capture and document the significant events on our journey. We carry inside of us a sacred rope of sorts that documents our journey and where we stopped, who we met and what we did along the way.

      Beto