Mesoamericans contact with North American Indians

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2013
      http://anthropology.msu.edu/anp264-us13/2013/08/13/mesoamericans-contact-with-north-american-indians/

      There is evidence for trade and exchange between the Mesoamericans and the Paleo-Indians of the southwest.  According to an article I found on Encyclopedia.com, Anasazi trade was important to the development of many aspects of the developing American Indian, "They also traded turquoise with Mesoamerican civilizations such as the Toltec Empire for high-prestige items such as macaw feathers, ornaments, and pottery. This intercourse had important consequences because it helped spread Mesoamerican pottery styles, religious customs, crops, and agricultural techniques to North America." (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-2536600176.html)  I found a piece of archaeological evidence for exchange on the website of the National Museum of the American Indian which states that there was contact between the Hohokum people, who date from 200-1400 A.D. and the Mesoamericans, "Hohokam ball courts and cacao found on pottery from Pueblo Bonito suggest rituals shared between Mesoamerica and the Southwest." (http://nmai.si.edu/exhibitions/infinityofnations/southwest.html) Obviously, the people of these older societies "got around".