Re: Family Finder results

  • mexr1b@att.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 19, 2013
      The term Maya with Family Finder is just a generic term. Indians from all over Mexico will have their aDNA show as Maya. This does not mean they are literally directly descended from them. It is more an example about how far DNA testing has to go before they can correctly identify aDNA being part of a subgroup such as Mayans being a subgroups of Mexican and Central American Indians. The terms that FTDNA uses can be very misleading. They do us a favor by providing testing but they also do us an injustice by using those generic terms.

      The North American Indians and the Indians from northern Mexico do show an affinity and their aDNA can be shown to be slightly different from Indians from the rest of Mexico but even before the arrival of Spaniards there was a lot of mixing over thousands of years. Then once the Spanish arrived there was a lot of change especially since many of the Indian allies of the Spanish were taken with the Spanish to assist in the pacification of northern Mexico and what is now New Mexico and Texas. This caused even more mixing of different Indian groups and Spaniards.

      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "earthchild_marie" <earthchild_marie@...> wrote:

      > They will reply if you match exaqctly or at step 1. All other matches mean they would have to do a paper trail. If you are 1/3 Maya that means you need to start looking for relatives in southern Mexico or in Zacatecas and the same for your North Africa ancestors, because there were lots of African slaves imported to Mexico City in the 1600/1700s.
      > You might try joining some of the genealogy clubs, too. Do you live in the USA or in Mexico? The only Villareal person in my Brito database is Clara de Villareal, who died in 1752 in Picuris, Taos county, USA. She was the 1st wife of Melchor Rodriguez, son of Sebastian Rodriguez y Brito, who was born in Angola Africa about 1642; Melchor's mother was Juana de la Cruz; they married in El Paso del Norte in 1697.
      >

      > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert villerreal" <gvillerreal63@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > My Y dna is R1b1a2 R M269. I have just received the results form family finder population . Europe 38.88% Native American Central America (Maya) is 38.91% and Middle east North Africa (mozabite). I have e mailed a few possible matches, but no response. Do others have better results when they e mail possible matches? I had 3 matches for the y dna 37 markers, but have never received any response from anyone on the list of matches, very frustrating.

    • gilbertvillerreal
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 24, 2013

        Hi,

        I have found a female ancestor who is listed as an Apache in a baptismal record.

        ---In mexicodnaproject@yahoogroups.com, <armandor1b@...> wrote:

        The term Maya with Family Finder is just a generic term. Indians from all over Mexico will have their aDNA show as Maya. This does not mean they are literally directly descended from them. It is more an example about how far DNA testing has to go before they can correctly identify aDNA being part of a subgroup such as Mayans being a subgroups of Mexican and Central American Indians. The terms that FTDNA uses can be very misleading. They do us a favor by providing testing but they also do us an injustice by using those generic terms.

        The North American Indians and the Indians from northern Mexico do show an affinity and their aDNA can be shown to be slightly different from Indians from the rest of Mexico but even before the arrival of Spaniards there was a lot of mixing over thousands of years. Then once the Spanish arrived there was a lot of change especially since many of the Indian allies of the Spanish were taken with the Spanish to assist in the pacification of northern Mexico and what is now New Mexico and Texas. This caused even more mixing of different Indian groups and Spaniards.

        --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "earthchild_marie" <earthchild_marie@...> wrote:

        > They will reply if you match exaqctly or at step 1. All other matches mean they would have to do a paper trail. If you are 1/3 Maya that means you need to start looking for relatives in southern Mexico or in Zacatecas and the same for your North Africa ancestors, because there were lots of African slaves imported to Mexico City in the 1600/1700s.
        > You might try joining some of the genealogy clubs, too. Do you live in the USA or in Mexico? The only Villareal person in my Brito database is Clara de Villareal, who died in 1752 in Picuris, Taos county, USA. She was the 1st wife of Melchor Rodriguez, son of Sebastian Rodriguez y Brito, who was born in Angola Africa about 1642; Melchor's mother was Juana de la Cruz; they married in El Paso del Norte in 1697.
        >

        > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert villerreal" <gvillerreal63@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > My Y dna is R1b1a2 R M269. I have just received the results form family finder population . Europe 38.88% Native American Central America (Maya) is 38.91% and Middle east North Africa (mozabite). I have e mailed a few possible matches, but no response. Do others have better results when they e mail possible matches? I had 3 matches for the y dna 37 markers, but have never received any response from anyone on the list of matches, very frustrating.

      • Joel Peres
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 25, 2013
          Great, what state and town is the baptismal record from?

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 25, 2013
            The baptismal record is from Villa San Fernando de Bexar.
            5th Great grand Mother  Margarita Menchaca.
            I suspect that the father of Antonia Serafina Menchaca, the daughter of Margarita is Don Luis Menchaca, the master of Margarita no proof or documentation. I am looking for the will of Don Luis Menchaca.

            San Fernando Church Baptisms 1731-1775

            entry 325 p20

            John Ogden Leal

            San Antonio Public Library

             1754.

            Antonia Serafina Menchaca was baptised when she was 8 days old. She was bastised at San Fernando, in Villa Bejar. The record states that she is a Mestiza, child of Margarita Menchaca, Apache Indian, servant of Don Luis Menchaca, who raised her, " y es publica " Godmother Maria de Anpuco.

          • sangerjaime@...
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 25, 2013
              Gilbert,

              Google---- Hernandez, Andres-Texas State Historical Association.  In this disputed land grant in San Antonio Texas is mentioned a Luis Antonio Menchaca who also claimed ownership to the grant.  This may be a lead.  Andres Hernandez's wife, Maria Hoyos is my Tia 5th generations approximately!!

              Jaime Rendon Hernandez

> [...]

              > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert villerreal" <gvillerreal63@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > > My Y dna is R1b1a2 R M269. I have just received the results form family finder population . Europe 38.88% Native American Central America (Maya) is 38.91% and Middle east North Africa (mozabite). I have e mailed a few possible matches, but no response. Do others have better results when they e mail possible matches? I had 3 matches for the y dna 37 markers, but have never received any response from anyone on the list of matches, very frustrating.

            • earthchild_marie
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 26, 2013

                Even more important, what Year is the Apache record from?

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 26, 2013
                  Thank you, that is the same Menchaca. Like I said I cannot document that he is the father. Will keep searching for more evidence.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 26, 2013
                    I would think that Don Luis's will would be recorded in the death records of San Fernando Cathedral?

> [...]

                    > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert villerreal" <gvillerreal63@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > > My Y dna is R1b1a2 R M269. I have just received the results form family finder population . Europe 38.88% Native American Central America (Maya) is 38.91% and Middle east North Africa (mozabite). I have e mailed a few possible matches, but no response. Do others have better results when they e mail possible matches? I had 3 matches for the y dna 37 markers, but have never received any response from anyone on the list of matches, very frustrating.

                  • JOEL SR
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 27, 2013
                      Hi Joel
                      Can you post this to our yahoo group?

                      Gary

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:30 AM, JOEL SR <hrjoel3@...> wrote:

                      Gary:

                      On the Haplotree SNP

                      How can one tell what SNP to order for testing? It appears that I could be tested for all of these
                      1. L23 !
                        1. L150 !
                          1. L51 !
                            1. L52L11P311P310 !L151
                              1. U106 !
                                1. U198 !
                                2. P107 !
                                3. L1 !
                                4. L48 !
                                  1. L47 !
                                    1. L44 !L163
                                      1. L46 !
                                        1. L45L164 !L237
                                  2. L148 !
                                  3. L188 !
                                5. L6 !
                                6. P89.2 !
                                7. L217 !
                                8. L257 !
                                9. L325 !
                              2. P312 !
                                1. M65 !
                                2. M153 !
                                3. U152 !
                                  1. M126 !
                                  2. M160 !
                                  3. L2 !
                                    1. L20 !
                                      1. M228.2 !
                                    2. L196 !
                                  4. L4 !
                                4. L21 !
                                  1. M37 !
                                  2. M222 !
                                  3. P66 !
                                  4. L96 !
                                  5. L144 !L195
                                  6. L159.2 !
                                  7. L193 !
                                  8. L226 !
                                  9. P314.2 !
                                5. L176.2 !
                                  1. SRY2627 !
                                  2. L165 !
                      2. M335
                      1. V88
                        1. M18
                      2. P267P249M124L266
                        1. L294
                      Legend: Your Confirmed HaplogroupYour Predicted Haplogroup+Tested Positive-Tested Negative^Presumed Positive!Test Available...Test In Progress

                      P232 ^P224 ^P227 ^P280 ^P285 ^M207 ^P229 ^ What does it mean that you are assumed positive for these items? What SNP do they represent?

                      Joel

                      Gary:

                      How rare is R M207? Is connected with Q  and fromP45?

                      See copied.

                      In human genetics, Haplogroup R is a Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup, a subgroup of haplogroup P, associated with the M207 mutation. It is believed to have occurred somewhere in Northwest Asia between 30,000 and 35,000 years ago. However, most of the rare forms of Haplogroup R chromosomes, as well as most cases of the closely related Haplogroup Q, are found among populations of Central Asia, South Asia, Australia, Siberia, Native Americans, and

                    • Danny Borquez
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 28, 2013
                        Hi Gary,

                         I was checking FTDNA  for Haplotree & SNP's and I saw all the SNP's they showed I could test for , when I compared those to my Geno 2 results  I had tested positive for the majority of them . I called Family Tree and asked them why my results haven't been merged ( It's been close to 8 months) and they told me they are having tech problems with this procedure. This issue has been brought up by a lot of other people and they don't know when it will be fixed but they are working on it. When Joel mentioned M207 I saw I was positive for it on my Geno 2 results so that's when I started comparing FTDNA with my Geno 2 results.
                        I just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else has noticed that problem.
                        Danny

                        On Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:44 PM, JOEL SR <hrjoel3@...> wrote:

[...]

                        ");

                        Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.
                        I would think that Don Luis's will would be recorded in the death records of San Fernando Cathedral?

                        -----Original Message----- From: GILBERT VILLERREAL <gvillerreal63@...> To: MexicoDNAProject <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sat, Oct 26, 2013 6:59 am Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] RE: Family Finder results

                        -----Original Message----- From: GILBERT VILLERREAL <gvillerreal63@...> To: MexicoDNAProject <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Fri, Oct 25, 2013 5:18 pm Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] RE: Family Finder results

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 28, 2013
                          Hola group:

                          How many are positive for R M207?

                          Joel

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 28, 2013
                            Just to clarify if you are R-M207 this means this is your terminal SNP and negative for all downstream markers or subclades. We have no one that has R-M207 as their terminal SNP but about half the project Y results are subclades so they have a positive R-M207 result leading to their own terminal SNP which is downstream of R-M207.

                            Gary

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 28, 2013
                              Hi Danny,
                              you would need to consult the haplotree to determine your terminal SNP keeping in mind that a new discovery of a downstream SNP leaves this as a possiblity of a new terminal SNP.

                              Gary

                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 28, 2013
                                Joel,
                                you are predicted to be R-M269 so yes these are all possibilities in addition to new SNP's recently discovered.

                                I don't see any you are presumed positive for on your FTDNA Y DNA hapo and SNP page. This would be the upstream markers if you tested positive for a particular SNP.

                                There are several ways to determine which SNP to test for. On the Mexico DNA Project page there are listed several haplogroups like this one with STR's that are common in particular haplogroups:
                                R1b-M222Deep Ancestry - Decendant of L21 above. NW Irish origin. DYS 439 = 11, DYS459 = 8-9, DYS464 = 13-13-15-17, DYS456 = 15, DYS463 = 23.Latest information on (M222+).

                                Another way is to join an haplogroup project as the admin should be able to offer advice on the specific haplogroup SNP that would best fit your STR values.

                                You could also test for the same haplogroup as your closest matches but for R1b you should always test for 67 markers (STR's or Single Tandem Repeats).

                                I would find a list of mutation rates which are on the project page and look for matches on the slowest mutating markers. The main thing is to look for where you are different from others in the database on these markers and find out what their terminal SNP is and test for it. For R1b the reference is the Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype.

                                The forums or Yahoo groups are a good source of new developments in the various haplogroups pertaining to new SNP's to test for.

                                Keep in mind that the FTDNA haplotree is already outdated. Of course your Y DNA ancestry and STR's would help dictate which test to order first.

                                The Stuckey's Y DNA line appear to be your closest matches.  They don't appear to have made their SNP known publicly so you may try asking one of them.

                                Gary

                                --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, JOEL SR wrote:

> [...]
                                >

                                > Gary:
                                > >
                                > >On the Haplotree SNP
                                > >
                                > >How can one tell what SNP to order for testing? It appears that I could be tested for all of these 1. L23 !R1b1a2a*
                                > > 1. L150 !R1b1a2a1*
                                > > 1. L51 !R1b1a2a1a*
                                > > 1. L52L11P311P310 !L151R1b1a2a1a1*
                                > > 1. U106 !R1b1a2a1a1a*
                                > > 1. U198 !R1b1a2a1a1a1
                                > > 2. P107 !R1b1a2a1a1a2
                                > > 3. L1 !R1b1a2a1a1a3
                                > > 4. L48 !R1b1a2a1a1a4*
                                > > 1. L47 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a*
                                > > 1. L44 !L163R1b1a2a1a1a4a1*
                                > > 1. L46 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a*
                                > > 1. L45L164 !L237R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a1
                                > > 2. L148 !R1b1a2a1a1a4b
                                > > 3. L188 !R1b1a2a1a1a4c
                                > > 5. L6 !R1b1a2a1a1a5
                                > > 6. P89.2 !R1b1a2a1a1a6
                                > > 7. L217 !R1b1a2a1a1a7
                                > > 8. L257 !R1b1a2a1a1a8
                                > > 9. L325 !R1b1a2a1a1a9
                                > > 2. P312 !R1b1a2a1a1b*
                                > > 1. M65 !R1b1a2a1a1b1
                                > > 2. M153 !R1b1a2a1a1b2
                                > > 3. U152 !R1b1a2a1a1b3*
                                > > 1. M126 !R1b1a2a1a1b3a
                                > > 2. M160 !R1b1a2a1a1b3b
                                > > 3. L2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c*
                                > > 1. L20 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1*
                                > > 1. M228.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1a
                                > > 2. L196 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c2
                                > > 4. L4 !R1b1a2a1a1b3d
                                > > 4. L21 !R1b1a2a1a1b4*
                                > > 1. M37 !R1b1a2a1a1b4a
                                > > 2. M222 !R1b1a2a1a1b4b
                                > > 3. P66 !R1b1a2a1a1b4c
                                > > 4. L96 !R1b1a2a1a1b4d
                                > > 5. L144 !L195R1b1a2a1a1b4e
                                > > 6. L159.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4f
                                > > 7. L193 !R1b1a2a1a1b4g
                                > > 8. L226 !R1b1a2a1a1b4h
                                > > 9. P314.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4i
                                > > 5. L176.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b5*
                                > > 1. SRY2627 !R1b1a2a1a1b5a
                                > > 2. L165 !R1b1a2a1a1b5b
                                > > 2. M335R1b1b
                                > > 1. V88
                                > > 2. R1b1c*
                                > > 3. 1. M18R1b1c1
                                > > 4. P267P249M124L266
                                > > 5. R2*
                                > > 6. 1. L294R2a
                                > >Legend: Your Confirmed HaplogroupYour Predicted Haplogroup+Tested Positive-Tested Negative^Presumed Positive!Test Available...Test In Progress
                                > >
                                > >P232 ^P224 ^P227 ^P280 ^P285 ^M207 ^P229 ^ What does it mean that you are assumed positive for these items? What SNP do they represent?
                                > >
                                > >Joel
                                > >
                                > >Gary:
                                > >
                                > >How rare is R M207? Is connected with Q  and fromP45?
                                > >
                                > >See copied.
                                > >
                                > >In human genetics, Haplogroup R is a Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup, a subgroup of haplogroup P, associated with the M207 mutation. It is believed to have occurred somewhere in Northwest Asia between 30,000 and 35,000 years ago. However, most of the rare forms of Haplogroup R chromosomes, as well as most cases of the closely related Haplogroup Q, are found among populations of Central Asia, South Asia, Australia, Siberia, Native Americans, and

                              • JOEL SR
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 30, 2013
                                  Gary:

                                  I was told by FTDNA that these are terminal presumptive positives.
                                  M207 ^P227 ^P280 ^P232 ^P224 ^P229 ^P285 ^

                                  Explain SNIPS? I was told that FTDNA does not provide information on the additional testing as L23 to L165.

                                  She said the project administrator should recommend what tests might fit the project.

                                  Is there a nomenclature for all theses items e.g. L23, L165 etc.

                                  Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.

                                  --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, JOEL SR wrote: > > Hi Joel > Can you post this to our yahoo group? > > Gary > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:30 AM, JOEL SR hrjoel3@... wrote: > > > Gary: > >  > >On the Haplotree SNP > >  > >How can one tell what SNP to order for testing? It appears that I could be tested for all of these 1. L23 !R1b1a2a* > > 1. L150 !R1b1a2a1* > > 1. L51 !R1b1a2a1a* > > 1. L52L11P311P310 !L151R1b1a2a1a1* > > 1. U106 !R1b1a2a1a1a* > > 1. U198 !R1b1a2a1a1a1 > > 2. P107 !R1b1a2a1a1a2 > > 3. L1 !R1b1a2a1a1a3 > > 4. L48 !R1b1a2a1a1a4* > > 1. L47 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a* > > 1. L44 !L163R1b1a2a1a1a4a1* > > 1. L46 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a* > > 1. L45L164 !L237R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a1 > > 2. L148 !R1b1a2a1a1a4b > > 3. L188 !R1b1a2a1a1a4c > > 5. L6 !R1b1a2a1a1a5 > > 6. P89.2 !R1b1a2a1a1a6 > > 7. L217 !R1b1a2a1a1a7 > > 8. L257 !R1b1a2a1a1a8 > > 9. L325 !R1b1a2a1a1a9 > > 2. P312 !R1b1a2a1a1b* > > 1. M65 !R1b1a2a1a1b1 > > 2. M153 !R1b1a2a1a1b2 > > 3. U152 !R1b1a2a1a1b3* > > 1. M126 !R1b1a2a1a1b3a > > 2. M160 !R1b1a2a1a1b3b > > 3. L2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c* > > 1. L20 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1* > > 1. M228.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1a > > 2. L196 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c2 > > 4. L4 !R1b1a2a1a1b3d > > 4. L21 !R1b1a2a1a1b4* > > 1. M37 !R1b1a2a1a1b4a > > 2. M222 !R1b1a2a1a1b4b > > 3. P66 !R1b1a2a1a1b4c > > 4. L96 !R1b1a2a1a1b4d > > 5. L144 !L195R1b1a2a1a1b4e > > 6. L159.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4f > > 7. L193 !R1b1a2a1a1b4g > > 8. L226 !R1b1a2a1a1b4h > > 9. P314.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4i > > 5. L176.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b5* > > 1. SRY2627 !R1b1a2a1a1b5a > > 2. L165 !R1b1a2a1a1b5b > > 2. M335R1b1b > > 1. V88 > > 2. R1b1c* > > 3. 1. M18R1b1c1 > > 4. P267P249M124L266 > > 5. R2* > > 6. 1. L294R2a > >Legend: Your Confirmed HaplogroupYour Predicted Haplogroup+Tested Positive-Tested Negative^Presumed Positive!Test Available...Test In Progress > > > >P232 ^P224 ^P227 ^P280 ^P285 ^M207 ^P229 ^ What does it mean that you are assumed positive for these items? What SNP do they represent? > >  > >Joel > >  > >Gary: > >  > >How rare is R M207? Is connected with Q  and fromP45? > >  > >See copied. > >  > >In human genetics, Haplogroup R is a Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup, a subgroup of haplogroup P, associated with the M207 mutation. It is believed to have occurred somewhere in Northwest Asia between 30,000 and 35,000 years ago. However, most of the rare forms of Haplogroup R chromosomes, as well as most cases of the closely related Haplogroup Q, are found among populations of Central Asia, South Asia, Australia, Siberia, Native Americans, and > >  > >  > >  > >  > >  > >  > > > "); > > > Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D. >
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 30, 2013
                                    Joel Sr.
                                    on your haplogroup page at the bottom there are the FAQ tabs:

                                    Understanding Results: Y-DNA Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)

                                    Understanding Results: Y-DNA Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)

                                    You are predicted to be R1b and presumed to be the R paragroup markers which doesn't tell you much of anything.

                                    >She said the project administrator should recommend what tests >might fit the project.
                                    This is why I made this recommendation:
                                    Another way is to join an haplogroup project as the admin should be able to offer advice on the specific haplogroup SNP that would best fit your STR values.
                                    We are a geographical project and the haplogroup projects specialize in what markers their members should test for.  Recommending SNP's is something they do. It is too much research for a geographical project admin.  Try joining the R-P312 project.

                                    I believe the help pages I have provided links to should answer your other questions.

                                    You could always purchase the Geno2 product which would help find your terminal SNP.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 31, 2013
                                    Halo:

                                    I have acquired information related to DNA testing for rare genes by Donald Yates and an update on the find in Siberia with the child.

                                    Cochise, Apache, in the West.

                                    Yates is enrolled with the Echota Cherokee Tribe. I am a participant in the Cherokee DNA Phase II project.

                                    If you want to discover your genetic history and where you came from... you’ve found the right place!

                                    888-806-2588

                                    • DNA Fingerprint Plus $300

                                    The Cochise Gene

                                    Infrequent in the populations where it does appear, this autosomal ancestry marker is nevertheless a bellwether gene. It is named for the Apache chief Cochise who survived against all odds and lent his name to the Cochise Culture, an archaic phase of American Indian traditions beginning about seven thousand years ago in the American Southwest. It is  found at levels of 11-18% among Mexican, Maya, Quechua and Arizona Indians. The gene shows up in 1 in 13 North or South American Indians on average, and it is approximately the same result for Hispanics, Latinos or Latin Americans, as they typically have as much as 50% Native ancestry. It is absent in most Eastern Native Americans, as opposed to Western groups.

                                    The Cochise Gene (in red) is huge in the New World compared to its Old World background (in black).

                                    All Contents Copyright © 2012, DNA Consultants, Phoenix
                                    Privacy Policy   •   Terms of Use   •   Other Policies   •   Shopping Cart   •   About Us   •   Contact Us
                                    DNA Consultants. Home of the DNA Fingerprint

                                    ShareThis Copy and Paste

                                    Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.
                                    on your haplogroup page at the bottom there are the FAQ tabs:

                                    Understanding Results: Y-DNA Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)

                                    Understanding Results: Y-DNA Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP)

                                    You are predicted to be R1b and presumed to be the R paragroup markers which doesn't tell you much of anything.

                                    >She said the project administrator should recommend what tests >might fit the project.
                                    This is why I made this recommendation:
                                    Another way is to join an haplogroup project as the admin should be able to offer advice on the specific haplogroup SNP that would best fit your STR values.
                                    We are a geographical project and the haplogroup projects specialize in what markers their members should test for.  Recommending SNP's is something they do. It is too much research for a geographical project admin.  Try joining the R-P312 project.

                                    I believe the help pages I have provided links to should answer your other questions.

                                    You could always purchase the Geno2 product which would help find your terminal SNP.

                                    --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, JOEL SR wrote: >
                                    I was told by FTDNA that these are terminal presumptive positives.
                                    M207 ^P227 ^P280 ^P232 ^P224 ^P229 ^P285 ^

                                    Explain SNIPS? I was told that FTDNA does not provide information on the additional testing as L23 to L165.

                                    She said the project administrator should recommend what tests might fit the project.

                                    Is there a nomenclature for all theses items e.g. L23, L165 etc.

                                    Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.. > > From: "garyf@..." garyf@... > >To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com > >Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:40 AM > >Subject: [MexicoDNAProject] Which SNP to test for > > > >  > >Joel, > >you are predicted to be R-M269 so yes these are all possibilities in addition to new SNP's recently discovered.  > > > > > >I don't see any you are presumed positive for on your FTDNA Y DNA hapo and SNP page. This would be the upstream markers if you tested positive for a particular SNP.  > > > > > >There are several ways to determine which SNP to test for. On the Mexico DNA Project page there are listed several haplogroups like this one with STR's that are common in particular haplogroups: > >R1b-M222 Deep Ancestry - Decendant of L21 above. NW Irish origin. DYS 439 = 11, DYS459 = 8-9, DYS464 = 13-13-15-17, DYS456 = 15, DYS463 = 23.Latest information on (M222+). > >Another way is to join an haplogroup project as the admin should be able to offer advice on the specific haplogroup SNP that would best fit your STR values. > >You could also test for the same haplogroup as your closest matches but for R1b you should always test for 67 markers (STR's or Single Tandem Repeats). > >I would find a list of mutation rates which are on the project page and look for matches on the slowest mutating markers. The main thing is to look for where you are different from others in the database on these markers and find out what their terminal SNP is and test for it. For R1b the reference is the Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype.  > >The forums or Yahoo groups are a good source of new developments in the various haplogroups pertaining to new SNP's to test for. > >Keep in mind that the FTDNA haplotree is already outdated. Of course your Y DNA ancestry and STR's would help dictate which test to order first. > >The Stuckey's Y DNA line appear to be your closest matches.  They don't appear to have made their SNP known publicly so you may try asking one of them.  > >Gary --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, JOEL SR wrote:>> Hi Joel> Can you post this to our yahoo group?> > Gary> > Sent from my iPhone> > On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:30 AM, JOEL SR hrjoel3@ wrote:> > > Gary: > > > >On the Haplotree SNP> > > >How can one tell what SNP to order for testing? It appears that I could be tested for all of these 1. L23 !R1b1a2a* > > 1. L150 !R1b1a2a1* > > 1. L51 !R1b1a2a1a* > > 1. L52L11P311P310 !L151R1b1a2a1a1* > > 1. U106 !R1b1a2a1a1a* > > 1. U198 !R1b1a2a1a1a1> > 2. P107 !R1b1a2a1a1a2> > 3. L1 !R1b1a2a1a1a3> > 4. L48 !R1b1a2a1a1a4* > > 1. L47 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a* > > 1. L44 !L163R1b1a2a1a1a4a1* > > 1. L46 !R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a* > > 1. L45L164 !L237R1b1a2a1a1a4a1a1> > 2. L148 !R1b1a2a1a1a4b> > 3. L188 !R1b1a2a1a1a4c> > 5. L6 !R1b1a2a1a1a5> > 6. P89.2 !R1b1a2a1a1a6> > 7. L217 !R1b1a2a1a1a7> > 8. L257 !R1b1a2a1a1a8> > 9. L325 !R1b1a2a1a1a9> > 2. P312 !R1b1a2a1a1b* > > 1. M65 !R1b1a2a1a1b1> > 2. M153 !R1b1a2a1a1b2> > 3. > U152 !R1b1a2a1a1b3* > > 1. M126 !R1b1a2a1a1b3a> > 2. M160 !R1b1a2a1a1b3b> > 3. L2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c* > > 1. L20 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1* > > 1. M228.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c1a> > 2. L196 !R1b1a2a1a1b3c2> > 4. L4 !R1b1a2a1a1b3d> > 4. L21 !R1b1a2a1a1b4* > > 1. M37 !R1b1a2a1a1b4a> > 2. M222 !R1b1a2a1a1b4b> > 3. P66 !R1b1a2a1a1b4c> > 4. L96 !R1b1a2a1a1b4d> > 5. L144 !L195R1b1a2a1a1b4e> > 6. L159.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4f> > 7. L193 !R1b1a2a1a1b4g> > 8. L226 !R1b1a2a1a1b4h> > 9. P314.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b4i> > 5. L176.2 !R1b1a2a1a1b5* > > 1. SRY2627 !R1b1a2a1a1b5a> > 2. L165 !R1b1a2a1a1b5b> > 2. M335R1b1b> > 1. V88> > 2. R1b1c* > > 3. 1. M18R1b1c1> > 4. P267P249M124L266> > 5. R2* > > 6. 1. L294R2a> >Legend: Your Confirmed HaplogroupYour Predicted Haplogroup+Tested Positive-Tested Negative^Presumed Positive!Test Available...Test In Progress> >> >P232 ^P224 ^P227 ^P280 ^P285 ^M207 ^P229 ^ What does it mean that you are assumed positive for these items? What SNP do they represent?> > > >Joel> > > > >Gary:> > > >How rare is R M207? Is connected with Q  and fromP45?> > > >See copied.> > > >In human genetics, Haplogroup R is a Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup, a subgroup of haplogroup P, associated with the M207 mutation. It is believed to have occurred somewhere in Northwest Asia between 30,000 and 35,000 years ago. However, most of the rare forms of Haplogroup R chromosomes, as well as most cases of the closely related Haplogroup Q, are found among populations of Central Asia, South Asia, Australia, Siberia, Native Americans, and > > > > > > > > > > > > > >> "); > > > Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.> > > > M207 ^P227 ^P280 ^P232 ^P224 ^P229 ^P285 ^ >   > Explain SNIPS? I was told that FTDNA does not provide information on the additional testing as L23 to L165. >   > She said the project administrator should recommend what tests might fit the project. >   > Is there a nomenclature for all theses items e.g. L23, L165 etc.   >
                                  • earthchild_marie
                                    Message 18 of 26 , Oct 31, 2013

                                       Gary, what is the Geno2 project and does FTDNA test for that?

                                      Message 19 of 26 , Oct 31, 2013

                                        Message 20 of 26 , Nov 4, 2013
                                          Gary:

                                          What is the R P312 Project?

                                          Joel K. Harris, Sr., Ph.D.

                                          Message 21 of 26 , Nov 5, 2013
                                            Thank you Joel!

                                            Marie,
                                            Here is the FTDNA link:

                                            Good to see your submission at Somos Primos as well,

                                            Britos In Portugal

                                            Compiled by Marie Brito in July 2008
                                            Earthchild_Marie@...

                                            Portuguese Brito genealogy begins in early 1200 AD with this book:
                                            "NOBLE LINAJE de PORTUGAL, ENTRONCADO CON OTRAS ILUSTRES CASAS DEL MISMO REINO Y de CASTILLA."
                                            1st Generation: Juan Anez de Brito, a quien el Conde D. Pedro de Bracelos llama N. de Brito, es el mas antiguo caballero de este
                                            linajede que se tiene noticia. Caso con dona Magdalena de Acosta (hija de Gonzalo de Acosta, Privado del Rey Don Alfonso III de Portugal) y fueron padres de
                                            1- Maria Anez de Brito, mujer de Gonzalo Vasquez de Moura, y
                                            2- Alfonso Anez de Brito, que sigue.

                                            Detailed and hard work for the Brito Family in all of us.
                                            Best,

                                            Message 22 of 26 , Nov 5, 2013
                                              Joel Sr.,
                                              here is the link with all the info.: