Spaniards in the new world 1492-1522

  • earthchild_marie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
      excuse me. Yes, there were wives who came over, just not single females who were not in some man's care, like daughters or sisters...
    • Orfa Salinas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
        To me 30 years is just a drop in the "time" bucket.

        "People usually hate what they don't understand."
        Moses ibn Ezra

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
          This has been one of those areas that has been difficult to completely understand. I don't think anyone really has a handle on this and I don't intend to add any fuel to the fire because I certainly don't either, , but according to the a 2004 report by UNAM

          2004 Programa Universitario México Nación Multicultural-UNAM, Ciudad Universitaria, México D.F.

          There were an estimated 15 million indigenous people living in the Americas in 1570

          In Mexico, there were about 3.3 million (close to half a million in the Central Valley alone). Also in Mexico, there were an estimated 20,000 African slaves and approximately 6,600 European, mostly Southern and mostly Spaniard.  Even if these early settlers wives and other women, it was still a very, small number in comparison to the indigenous population. So one can only imagine the dynamics.

          by 1793, there were about 2,300,000 Indigenous people. Historians tell us that violence and disease quickly killed off a lot of them. The Southern Europeans brought with them Catholicism, a highly ceremonial and sacramental version that still help the Virgin Mary in highest esteem. The soldiers and glory seekers probably did what they wanted to with the live women, but they revered the virgin Mary (pardon my sarcasm). Anyway, Catholicism probably tempered the the culture clash; made it easier for the highly ceremonial indigenous people and catholics to relate (unlike Protestant Northern European settlers). The Spaniards were no doubt paternalistic, but there was more mestizaje.

          By the same year (1793) Mestizos had grown to 1.5 million and Europeans remained at around 7,000, the Black population also remained constant. The Spaniards had Indians and had less need of Slaves. In the north, the more nomadic Indians simply wouldn't comply or they would run back home so the U.S. Southern states keep importing.. Blacks had nowhere to run.

          The Institute at UNAM estimates that there are around 10,000,000 indigenous people in Mexico today (or 2004); (with little or no admixture).  Mexico and Peru have the highest populations, Bolivia the highest percentage. Most of the Mexican population 70 to 80% is Mestizo and about 10% other (the people that run most things; again pardon the sarcasm)

          Hope this helps

          Beto

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
            There are without a doubt many documented cases of men taking their daughters to Mexico from Spain. My ancestor Leonel de Cervantes was one of them.

            http://garyfelix.tripod.com/index1A.htm#Cervantes

            Juan González de Hermosillo is a another documented case.

            There are people all over Mexico that can document their ancestry and have mtDNA results to prove their maternal line is Spanish and it had arrived in Mexico in the 15th to 17th century. Given this is a minority but to say it didn't happen is factually incorrect.