Finding actual birth record images through FamilySearch.org Is Free

  • gcdc87
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
      I recently found the image of my grandfather's actual birth record after a 1 hour search. The 120-year-old record listed his grandparents, so I was able to add four more names to our family tree.
      I went to https://www.familysearch.org/search which is free, unlike Ancestry.com.

      Scroll down and "Browse by Location"
      Browse images if you are patient and have enough info to isolate the records. I will warn you that they really believed in conserving paper (in Coahuila anyway). There were rarely any headers or line breaks after individual entries. I just skimmed for the year and month I wanted. I found that sometimes an entry for June 1st preceded others for late May, so once you are close, do not assume they are in strict chronological order.

      Best of luck in all your searches!
      Gerard
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
        Hi Gerard,
        I think familysearch.org is the best option. I have used ancestry.com's free trial and came up with photocopies of records and pics of more recent relatives a couple of generations my senior. They need more extensive records from Mexico before I would consider a purchase as what ancestry has doesn't take that long to find.

        Good luck,
        Gary