New Barbosa Results Posted

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
      http://garyfelix.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index63.htm#Barbosa

      San Martín de Hidalgo,>Jalisco Mexico>Covina,California USA. Haplogroup R1b. Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype, called haplotype 15 in research papers. Most common in the Basque people of Spain and France. See this DNA match to haplotype 96 - Population Structure in the Mediterranean Basin: A Y Chromosome Perspective. Oldest Ydna ancestor - Diego Antonio Barbosa, 1662-1715. Email Barbosa

    • Joel Peres
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
        Saludos Gary & all.
        Is Mr Barbosa P 312+?  My lowest downstream positive SNP is Z278, below Z196 but above M153.  I'm wondering if there's others who have tested postive for Z278 in our project?

        On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM, garyf@... <garyf@...> wrote:

        http://garyfelix.tripod.com/~GaryFelix/index63.htm#Barbosa

        San Martín de Hidalgo,>Jalisco Mexico>Covina,California USA. Haplogroup R1b. Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype, called haplotype 15 in research papers. Most common in the Basque people of Spain and France. See this DNA match to haplotype 96 - Population Structure in the Mediterranean Basin: A Y Chromosome Perspective. Oldest Ydna ancestor - Diego Antonio Barbosa, 1662-1715. Email Barbosa

      • Heriberto Escamilla
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
          Buenos dias Joel, Gary; I am +P312 also

          Beto

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
            Fantastic Beto, have you tested for any other of the downstream SNPs?

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
              Yes, I have, I am negative for others downstream. A couple of other tests have come up more recently (L176 and L165), but haven't tested for these.

              Beto

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                cool, please keep me informed, I'm guessing most of your matches are non-Hispanic?

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                  I will keep you posted, But on the matches, especially close ones are Mexicano/Latino, especially Garza and Trevino. 12 marker matches are more varied

                  Beto

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                    I match those families on an autosomal level, my Y matches are more Northern Euro, go figure? lol

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                      Joel, one of my distant ancestors was Francisco Escamilla Perez or Perez Escamilla; he was one of the original founders of Cadereyta in the late 16th century. But you know the English Channel is not all that wide. I understand there was a lot of migration back and forth. I read somewhere that Alberto Canto, one of the founders of Nuevo Leon was a decedent of someone form Kent England. So Kent may have become Canto; Tamez another "Latino" name and one prominent in my line.  may have Thames, after the river. One of my great grandmothers was Ocana, which I am told may be from the Irish O'Conner.

                      When Mexico plays the U.S., I can't help but being Mexican, even though they are playing pretty sorry these days and the U.S. will probably win a World Cup before Mexico does, but oh well, can't deny our ancestors.

                      Beto

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                        Hello Joel,
                        the Barbosa results are predicted R-M269.
                        I try to keep up to date on posting SNP results and a "Find" on the project page shows that only you are positive for this marker but not many have tested these new markers yet. As you know they are not recognized in the FTDNA tree yet but are helpful in determining your group of R1b.

                        Here is the tree as it stands now (no pun intended):
                        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17907527/R1b-P312_Descendency_Tree.jpg

                        R1b-D27 is the beginning of a branch that project members have tested positive for more frequently than any other marker on the Y Tree.

                        At the other end is the Basque Marker R1b-M153 which still only represents a small percentage of the Basque Y dna but this is where it is most frequent in the world.
                        Here is the project page:
                        http://www.familytreedna.com/public/r-m153_the_basque_marker/default.aspx

                        This line connects to the Guerra line one of the Founders of Nuevo Leon in this entry on the project page:
                        Based on conventional research; this Guerra line is from Ignacio Guerra (from the book Cedulario Autobiogrrafico de Pobladores y Conquistadores de Nuevo Leon by Cavazos) who settled in Monterrey Nuevo Leon in 1659. He also said in a statement made on September 3rd 1683 in the Valle del Pilon that he married daughters (married twice) of Conquistadors and settlers of Nuevo Leon. He said he resisted invasions by the Indians and rebellions against the crown. Another apparently separate line was the Guerra Reza, line but it is not known yet if a male (Ydna) survives today. - Gary Felix

                      • sangerjaime@...
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                          You cannot forget that Your Y only constitutes maybe 2% of your total genetic composition passed on down thru your paternal side, non mixed!!   Obviously you might show more Euro admixture, from both sides (mat7pat) thru the autosomal test results.

                          Jaime

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                            I think you are thinking of John Kent.  That theory between Kent and Canto has been challenged as untrue.  When I find the cite I will e-mail it to you!!

                            Jaime

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                              Great information Gary, great stuff.
                              regarding Kent, one of my best friends, that's his last name and he also happens to be R1b, but he's got the variation that's most common in Ireland.  He's Southside Irish from Chgo so all lines up well. I was thinking he would match some Cantu's because a Cantu match of mine suspects he descends from the same Kent mentioned in this thread.
                              Regarding soccer, I'm a 2nd generation US Fan so I'm used to being abused by Mexico fans when El Tri plays the US, hearing the national anthem booed by some, but not all, etc.  However, after these games, I've also been treated with kindness by many fans of El Tri, ended up at drunken tailgates across the country.  I love soccer.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                                Hi Gary,

                                   I don't understand all my results but on Geno 2.0 my results seem similar to what's being discussed right now:Z214+,M153-, Chain of SNP's are R1b-P312>DF27>Z196>Z274>Z209>Z220>Z216>Z278<214. They also say I'm U106 with a Z6+ which isn't normal so they are researching this in more depth.

                                My Borquez family is from Sonora, Mexico, I think they arrived in Mexico in the mid to late 1700's and are of French/Spanish Basque ancestry. Also,just a side note pertaining to the information on Kent, England, my mother is a Smith and I've traced her family back to about 1300 all over England with a few from Kent.

                                Danny

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                                  Thanks Jaime, I would appreciate that. It's always good to get more than one source on things

                                  Beto

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                                    I know this is a digression from the purpose of the group. I apologize, but Joel, if you have not read the book "How Soccer Explains the World"; by Frank Foer. Among the many proposals the author makes, he notes that the main reason that Franco left Catalunia alone was that he wanted to preserve the rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona.

                                    I few years ago, I visited Scotland. We stayed for free at a bed and breakfast run by a person we had met here in Southern California. I couldn't leave without paying him something. So I offered him a beautiful, hand-woven, bright green, Huichol morral that had been given to me by my curandero friend. Joel, you should have seen the guy's face contort in an effort to be appreciative. Green is the Celtic color. Given the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers, I was probably lucky to get out of their alive. In some places, soccer is not ritualized warfare, it's plain warfare. I love the game as well

                                    Beto

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                                      Beto, that's a great story.  Thanks for sharing.  Yes, I have read that book, great read.  I'm also a 3rd generation Real fan and I hope my Son grows up to be a 3rd generation Man U fan.  Nonetheless if he grows up to love El Tri or any other team, I'll be grateful he's a fan of the beautiful game.  I agree, in the spirit of discontining this digression away from Mexican Genetic Genealogy, you or anyone interested in this or any other off topic discussion, please feel free to start a new thread using my email address:  joelfrancisperes@...
                                      cheers!

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 12, 2013
                                        Hi Danny,
                                        reference this tree:
                                        since you are positive for many of the markers in the line between DF27 and your Z214 you can ignore being U106 which is the brother clade of R1b-P312.  What is significant is if you had a back mutation for a downstream marker of U106 as this would be very rare and also so recently in the tree.

                                        Sometimes an SNP can be ambiguous. I had a SNP go from Positive to Negative before by FTDNA's lab. This is documented on the I-M223 yahoo group
                                        I-M223@yahoogroups.com