Re: FTDNA Summer Sale

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
      Hello Leroy and Danny,
      for anyone testing their Y dna line (surname line) it would be best to go with at least 67 markers in case you are R1b. If your surname is a founder name and you just want to see if you match the founder line you could go with 25 markers or even 12 if the origin and markers are unusual enough. Jewish lines are unusual enough that 12 markers would be enough just to identify a very old match.
      In all cases the more markers the closer a relationship that could be identified.

      You may see from our MTdna page that we have started to identify the female founders with the help of Crispin Rendon:
      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/GenealogyofMexicoDNAProject/default.aspx?section=mtresults

      Full mtdna sequencing is needed to do this as it gives us the closes relationship possible.

      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Leroy Villarreal <leroyvillarreal@...> wrote:

      > I have tested at ancestry.com and results are posted there but I am to
      > Wanting to take advantage of the summer offer can you give me an idea of which test I need because I have hit a road block at my grandfather Demetrio married to Benigna Rodriguez. Demetrio is a natural born of Ricarda Flores 1830 Salinas Victoria Nuevo León
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jul 3, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Danny Borquez <danny_borquez@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Gary,
      > >
      > > You have posted my Family tree DNA results and I sent you my Geno 2.0 results, what test would you suggest next. I'm stuck with my G_G_G_Grandfather in Sonora ,Mexico. I think he was born around 1790 maybe in Quiriego, Sonora ( Near Guaymas) or near Hermosillo or Spain. I have been following the discussions and I'm not sure whats best for me.
      > >
      > > Danny Borquez

    • Danny Borquez
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013
        Hi Gary,

          I have tested up to the 67 markers but have never had a hit on one, does the Geno 2.0 equate to any of the summer specials? I am thinking about taking the autosomal test, would that be a good start?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2013
          Hi Danny,
          the geno is not covered and I have not taken this test but here is a good first look:
          http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2012/11/genographic-project-20-first-look.html

          Autosomal matches correlate very well with the specific areas your ancestors came from. The best thing is that as more people test the better the results.

          Gary

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2013
            Thanks Gary, these were my results for the Geno 2.0 :  Mediterranean 37%, Northern European 35%, Southwest Asian 15%, Native American 9%, Sub-Saharan African 3%. My Hominid Ancestry consists of 3.2% Neanderthal and 3.4% Denisovans.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2013
              Your welcome Danny,
              I have not heard where they are getting their predictions.  Do they say?  As I mentioned in a recent post with NA dna there has been a lot of admixture and selection so the ref. population may not be as accurate as you would like. Even 23andme's NA reference is showing some Euro and they claim this could be ancient from Central Asia when Euro and NA went their separate ways for the most part.

              Geno seems to be equating these populations with ancient migrations without providing a basis to the public.  I believe they may be leaving out the component of selection but since they don't say I can't get clarification.

              These predictions can only get better.