The Converso's Dilemma

  • Peggy Deras
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2014
    • Flora C
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2014

        Thank you for the article.  It was a pleasant surprise to see a dear friend of mine Sonya Loya  in the article.  I already knew of her intention to become a rabbi, but it's always a pleasure to see her name mentioned in these articles.  She is also very involved in bringing awareness to the Crypto Jew cause.

        Flora Chavez

        To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
        From: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 14:32:56 -0700
        Subject: [MexicoDNAProject] The Converso's Dilemma

        Interesting article about Mexican Jews.

        http://jstandard.com/content/item/the_conversos_dilemma/30799#

      • Peggy Deras
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2014
          I'm curious.
          Does anyone know the origins and meaning of the term: "Crypto Jew"?
          I understand "Conversos" but not "Crypto Jew".

          Peggy

          Re: The Converso's Dilemma

          Sun Jun 8, 2014 4:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

          "Flora C" fnchavez

          To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
          From: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 14:32:56 -0700

          Interesting article about Mexican Jews.

          http://jstandard.com/content/item/the_conversos_dilemma/30799#

        • Randal Soza
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 9, 2014
            I'm not sure anyone really knows who coined the term, but a Crypto Jew is one who maintains their Jewish faith behind closed doors, while publicly professing another faith. Marrano in Spanish means "pig" or "swine", but the Portuguese mean inning is taken from the verb marrar, meaning "forced one"

            Randal Soza

            Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US DNA Project Admin

            To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
            From: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 14:32:56 -0700

            Interesting article about Mexican Jews.