Suggestions appreciated!!

  • smln72@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2014

      I am realizing, that the deeper I try to dig to find missing pieces in my family tree, the less I really understand.

      My maternal uncle Eduardo Reyes, has given DNA for me to help figure out some mysteries in our family tree, to the extent that is possible.

      I feel like the irony is that I am most hindered by the recent past.  Both of my grandparents are deceased and I am stuck in some ways on their parents, although I have a weird conflict between aunts who insist my maternal grandmother was either born in Torreon or was born in Detroit.

      First, I was wondering if there are any useful resources to explain how to determine whether a person matches on Y DNA or MtDNA.  I only paid for Y DNA 25 and 37 as I had already done the MtDNA test.  I am all set up on GEDmatch, but my uncle's DNA is still processing.

      Second, does anyone have any suggestions or advice regarding trying to get information from cemeteries or death records in Mexico (Torreon, Coah.) that are from the 1900s? I know I have both maternal and paternal great-grandparents buried there and I even have most of the cemetery names and general dates of death (mid 1940s through mid 1970s.)

      I have one line (maternal grandfather's mother) that I can trace back pretty far and link to others, but I just need a little more to get there on the other 3.  The irony is that most of the familytreedna.com hits seem to be in the other segments.

      Third, I added my uncle (331333) to this project on familytreedna.com, but I don't see him listed when I go to Gary's page.  Did I do something wrong?

      Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I feel like my next step is to fly with one of my aunts to Torreon and do this myself, because I am the only one who cares. :-(

      Thanks,
      Stacy

    • smln72@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2014
        One last question -
        Would it pay to upgrade to the big Y for my uncle?
        Thanks,
        Stacy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2014
          Hi Stacy,
          I am somewhat behind on posting. If you can send me the following:
          . The posting would have your haplogroup and 12 marker results along with geographical information. You can post to Ysearch automatically on your YDNA Matches page at the bottom after you run a search.  If you have done so please pass along your Ysearch ID and I can link it to the ysearch button by your name on the project page. Otherwise I can do it for you and Y search will email your password and user ID.

          Please let me know the following:
          The migration pattern of your surname line.
          The name of your earliest surname line ancestor and the year he was born as well as when and where he and his surname line descendants were born.
          Any family mysteries you are looking to solve?

          I will post as soon as I can.

          Gary

[...]

        • Stacy Latocha Newelt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2014
            Y Search User ID: 9JGCT
            Thanks, Gary.

            Here are my mysteries:

            Francisco Reyes (My mother's paternal grandfather).  Died 12.24.1944 Torreon, Coah.  Born Fresnillo, Zacatecas.

            That is all I have.  My grandfather was born in Standard City, CA (doesn't exist anymore).

            Supposedly, he took away my great grandmother because she married an older man and was a threat to his other children and inheritance so she ran away with Francisco under a death threat.

            I have no way to prove or disprove this.  I was hoping if I could find burial records (date of birth/date of death) I would have a little more to go on.

            As it stands, there is no record of marriage for Francisco Reyes and Joaquina Garcia Hernandez.  There is no record of marriage for Refugio de Alba and Joaquina Garcia Hernandez.

            Next, my mother's mother was either born in Detroit or Torreon.  Her mother was Antonia Lupe Flores (father unknown) or Guadalupe Antonia Hernandez, with father Frank Flores of Guadalajara MX.  Once again, if I could find my way to her, either forward or backward via DNA, I could get there.  My aunt is close with the family of my grandma's madrina.  If I had names - I could ask.  Again, I feel like a birth date for Antonia could help.

            The only piece of the pie that is likely to remain a mystery is my mom's maternal grandfather.  He didn't acknowledge my grandmother and he didn't marry Antonia, so, perhaps this is lost to the sands of time.

            I am now coming across 2nd to 4th cousins via my uncle's family finder results.  I feel like I should be able to triangulate from some of these folks.  (Am I wrong?)

            Thanks for any help!
            Best,
            Stacy