950Re: [MexicoDNAProject] RE: Population Percentages and India

    Jan 24, 2014
      Hi Victoriano,
      point well taken. Geographical labels are not always well defined and sometimes significantly different in a comparison of genetic studies of the same general area.

      From: "mnavarrovillalobos@..." <mnavarrovillalobos@...>
      To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:26 PM
      Subject: [MexicoDNAProject] RE: Population Percentages and India

      Hi Gary,
      I guess it all depends on how one defines the boundaries of South Asia, Southwest Asia, etc. for these DNA analyses.

      On Geno2.0 they don't have  South Asia maps, they divide it in Southwest Asia (from the Arabic peninsula to most of India) and Southeast Asia (from East India to a huge part of Southern China. They report that modern Iberians have 13% of Southwest Asian DNA.

      Dodecad's Globe13 includes Southwest Asia and South Asia, but it is not clear to me which are their boundaries.

      Now, the results I posted previously are showing on FamilyFinder 6.71% South Asian (only India colored in their map)  and 22.89% Middle Eastern (all North Africa plus Saudi Arabia colored in their map, not the whole peninsula). On Globe13 this same sample shows as 6.4% West Asian, 5.13% SW Asian and 0.98% South Asian.

      I have another sample which according to FamilyFinder is 19.15% Middle Eastern (all North Africa and Saudi Arabia colored, plus Sudan and South Sudan in their map), and no South Asian at all. However, on Globe13 this same sample shows as 6.01% West Asian, 8.1% SW Asian and 1.51 South Asian.

      So, according to Globe13, these two samples are not too different from each other regarding their West, South and Southwest Asian percentiles, yet on FamilyFinder one is showing as 6.71% South Asian (North Indian, Southeast Indian) and the other one not Indian at all.

      Also according to the Dodecad Spreadsheets, the percentiles on Spaniards are 5.1-7.1% West Asian, 5.3-5.6% SW Asian and 0.2-0.4 South Asian, not too different from the previously mentioned samples.

      What's my point? I don't know. I guess I'm trying to say different analyses give different percentiles and show different maps which may or not overlap in different regions. even when using the same raw data, leaving us mortals with more questions than answers.

      Best regards,
      Victoriano Navarro (VN)

      ---In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, <garyf@...> wrote:

      Interesting VN, how small percentages of South Asian (or a relative or two with full South Asian grandparents) show up in many project members autosomal results. If this is identical by descent it could be that Roma or Portuguese families in India were known to marry only among themselves since settlement with some admixture. These would mean a very distant relationship that shows up in our dna because we are really matching a populations genetics rather than a closer relative.

      We do have a couple of project members who's Y line is haplogroup H which origin appears to be in India based on population genetic studies.

      Trujillo Surname - DYS Markers
      ParticipantO
      3
      9
      3
      3
      9
      0

      1
      9
      3
      9
      1
      3
      8
      5
      3
      8
      5
      4
      2
      6
      3
      8
      8
      4
      3
      9
      3
      8
      9
      -
      1
      3
      9
      2
      3
      8
      9
      -
      2
      4
      5
      8
      4
      5
      9
      4
      5
      9
      4
      5
      5
      4
      5
      4
      4
      4
      7
      4
      3
      7
      4
      4
      8
      4
      4
      9
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      Trujillo, (Anonymous)Indian Subcontinent - H122215101718111211131129..........................

      Recoder Surname - DYS Markers
      ParticipantO
      3
      9
      3
      3
      9
      0

      1
      9
      3
      9
      1
      3
      8
      5
      3
      8
      5
      4
      2
      6
      3
      8
      8
      4
      3
      9
      3
      8
      9
      -
      1
      3
      9
      2
      3
      8
      9
      -
      2
      4
      5
      8
      4
      5
      9
      4
      5
      9
      4
      5
      5
      4
      5
      4
      4
      4
      7
      4
      3
      7
      4
      4
      8
      4
      4
      9
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      4
      6
      4
      Recoder, Ernesto AdanIndian Subcontinent - H-M6912221510141811121114123216090910122314193012121415