94Re: DNA/Genealogy et al

    Jun 24, 2013
      Your welcome Armando,
      I would suggest going with at least 37 markers on your Y line. There are Cohen matches in the HRD database out of Chihuahua if you check the comments section on the Sephardic Cohen of Mexico Table on the Project page.
      http://garyfelix.tripod.com/index63.htm#MarquezA

      If you go with a Mtdna test I would suggest a full Mtdna sequence as this gives us the best chance of finding a founder line.

      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Armando Romero <armandolromero@...> wrote:

      > Gary,
      >
      > Being that I have already done the 23andme, I have decided that I also want
      > to submit a sample to FTDNA. Which kit do you suggest I order? There is
      > plenty of options and I am not sure which one would be beneficial?
      >
      > J1- 267 Y-DNA
      > B2
      >
      > thanks,
      > Armando
      >

      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM, garyf@... <garyf@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Yes Jaime is right on and regarding the haplogroup tree, the tree at
      > > 23andme is outdated. With FTDNA you can test your deep haplogroup ancestry
      > > (ie YDNA and Mtdna) and find out where your are in the tree using the
      > > latest Markers (single Nucleotide Polymorphisms).
      > >
      > > The advantage with testing with 23andme from an ancestry point of view is
      > > the autosomal results and finding out where your closest matches come from
      > > and your degree of relationship. The Ancestry Composition which tells you
      > > your genetic makeup as it relates to populations around the world is
      > > interesting as well.
      > >
      > > Generally speaking J1 is middle eastern origin and B2 is found more on the
      > > western coast of the Americas.
      > >
      > > Saludos,
      > > Gary
      > >

      > > --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, sangerjaime@ wrote: