929Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Updated DNA results

  • Randal Soza
    Jan 19, 2014
      But that's what I'm trying to tell you.........what you see is "Finnish/Russian" in your mother in law....and you show "Finnish" in your wife....so that is near the same admixture.......but it's actually most likely not Russian......as I was telling you, the Russian may actually be "Basque" which is Western European, but it won't show up as "Basque" because FTDNA doesn't have a Basque population to compare to.............you have to dig a little deeper.....see, the Sami people of Finland/Russian area actually share the same common ancestor as the Basque people.....so the FTDNA calculator puts those people in the "Finnish/Russian" category...........but remember this, if you go back 8 generations, there are over a thousand people in your ancestral line, and unless you have records for every single person, you can't actually know where they came from, what admixture they had, and what admixture they passed on.........my fathers side is completely Mexican, and yet at 3 other companies, AND FTDNA,  it shows close Russian relatives (Family Finder/Relative Finder matches)........how is that possible for a family that supposedly spent the last 300 years pioneering Southern Arizona/Northwestern Mexico? I'll tell you how..........we don't know where even single person in our family line came from, or where their families came from, and because my family practiced endogamy, they kept the bloodline going with the same admixture as those around them............

      Randal Soza

      Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US Project Admin

      On Jan 19, 2014, at 5:58 PM, "sangerjaime@..." <sangerjaime@...> wrote:

      Randal,

      Well, I think FTDNA's definition of recombining unevenly, although both husband/wife contribute 50% does not make sense!!!!  My wife is showing, Finnish, French, Orcadian, Romanian and Spanish Euro ancestry, but no Russian ancestry from her mother who shows 60%  Russian?  To boot their is no oral history or documented history of Russian surnames in my mother in laws family tree!!!!!!!   A surname name change maybe--way back I guess????

      Jaime