      From: "garyf@..." <garyf@...>
      To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:12 PM
      Subject: [MexicoDNAProject] Hope for a cure for the Holidays

      Diabetes risk gene 'from Neanderthals'

      By Paul RinconScience editor, BBC News website
      Neanderthal manNeanderthals interbred with humans and their genes are scattered among us today
      A gene variant that seems to increase the risk of diabetes in Latin Americans appears to have been inherited from Neanderthals, a study suggests.
      "One of the most exciting aspects of this work is that we've uncovered a new clue about the biology of diabetes," said co-author David Altshuler, who is based at the Broad Institute in Massachusetts.
      SLC16A11 is part of a family of genes that code for proteins that transport metabolites - molecules involved in the body's various chemical reactions.
      Altering the levels of the SLC16A11 protein can change the amount of a type of fat that has been implicated in the risk of diabetes. These findings suggest that SLC16A11 could be involved in the transport of an unknown metabolite that affects fat levels in cells and thereby increases risk of type 2 diabetes.

      Merry Christmas,