7Re: Great to hear about this group!

    Jun 12, 2013
      Welcome Teddi,
      you must have a wealth of information on NW Mexico and California.

      This is going back quite a ways but do you know, generally speaking where did the earliest non indiginous settlers of Sonora & Sinaloa come from and where in these areas did they settle first?

      As far as NE Mexico the expansion points were Saltillo and Monterrey. With contributions from the Zacatecas Silver expansion prior.

      It appears that in more recent times NW Mexico was settled by those from Guadalajara following a West coast migration but I am not sure how far back this goes.

      Sometimes you can tell by the surname where that person's ancestors were from. For example Villasenor & Lomelin are from the Guadalajara area. Garza, Villarreal, Salinas and Santoscoy are NE Mexico lines. Madrid, Bustos and Armijo are New Mexico lines. Like DNA they follow a certain migration.

      Best,
      Gary

      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, o2bnbaja@... wrote:

      > I have been researching my family's genealogy for over 35 years.
      >
      > My special areas of research are both Californias (Alta and Baja), Sonora, Sinaloa (pre-1700), and Chihuahua (pre-1840). I have also spent much of the last 35 years compiling trees for many familias antiguas of Baja California and recently jumped into the genetic part of all this which included travel by mule to roadless ranchos in Mexico to obtain FTDNA samples. I have pretty much ridden el camino real from Loreto, Baja California Sur, over 500 miles northward, meeting family along the way and gathering information on the old families including my surnames Arce, Carrillo, Cota, Marron, Verdugo, Villavicencio--some of the founding early soldier-families.
      >
      > My Alta California-Sonora lines are Feliz, Sanchez, Amado, Murrietta, Esquer(r).....
      >
      > My 1800s' Chihuahua lines are Montes, Sagarnaga, Gonzalez, Hidalgo.....
      >
      > I am looking forward to hearing about others adventures in Mexican research.
      >
      > The more I learn, the less I know!
      >
      > Teddi Montes
      > The Californio DNA Project.
      > My other 4WD is a Baja mule!