66823andme Autosomal Testing vs FTDNA's Mtdna Testing

    Oct 3, 2013
      Hi Ed,
      your welcome.

      Autosomal testing would be the way to go if you were looking to find your Mothers family lines. While both FTDNA and 23andme offer Autosomal testing, if you were looking to go with another company I would suggest 23andme. The same haplogroup would show up but the mtdna markers you received from FTDNA would not since it is a different type of test. Where 23andme would show your mother's side of the family along with Mtdna haplogroup; with FTDNA's Mtdna testing you only get one line of ancestry and that is the line that is your Mother's, Mother's Mother's line back many thousands of years. When you test autosomal dna either with 23andme or FTDNA you will not be sure what side of the family your relative comes from unless you share a papertrail or you test one of your parents. Of course it would help if your parents come from entirely different populations.

      Gary

      --- In MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com, Edward Romero <itsmeed20@...> wrote:

      > Hi Gary, I have already taken the Mito-DNA test with Family Tree DNA, I was given misleading information before I took the test, I was advised that by taking the test I could locate most of my Mother's direct family, that was not true. It's now time to take the Upgraded DNA test, but I really do not want to use Family Tree again, can I use another Company and do you have any suggestions and how will my Family Tree DNA results be merged with the new Company if I decide to take that action. I've read a lot about 23andme, what do you think?  Thanks for any comments. Ed

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic