      From: Joel Peres <joelfrancisperes@...>
      To: "MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: "Middle Eastern" DNA

      Annette, If you test w/ 23andme, I would bet money that you would match more then several Ashkenazim, most Mexicans do.  At first over 2 years ago I had little or no Jewish matches @ FTDNA's Family Finder, however, they've begun to accumulate.  FTDNA focuses on the last 6 generations, most Mexicans don't have any practicing Jews in our families within the last 6 generations (120-180 years ago).  However, most of us had at least some Moorish & Sephardic ancestors prior to 1492.   23andme has a very large autosomal database, so its also a numbers game.

      On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM, <sangerjaime@...> wrote:

      Some of your Mexican cousins, may be descendants of Crypto Jews, (the forbidden people) that were expelled from Spain in 1492. Although Mexico was a Spanish held territory, these people felt that they would be safe from the Spanish Inquisition by coming to  New Spain. Many of them became Catholic in the New World to keep their identity hidden.   I guess the vestiges of an alleged negative past may still persist today!!

      Jaime