1277Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: The Converso's Dilemma

  • Stan Villarreal
    Jun 9, 2014
      Basically, it means hidden, secretively.

      Stan Villarreal

      On Monday, June 9, 2014 5:05 PM, "Miguel A Gonzalez migstep@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes. It is a nineteenth century term.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 4:24 PM, "Randal Soza mrrandalsoza@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Awesome! I thought it was an author.......apparently the term has been in use for quite awhile...

      Randal Soza

      Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US DNA Project Admin

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 2:22 PM, "Miguel A Gonzalez migstep@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I believe it was Lucien Wolf, 1893, 'Crypto-Jews in the Commonwealth, Transactions of the Historical Jewish Society of England I, pp. 55-75, that coined the phrase.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 3:55 PM, "Randal Soza mrrandalsoza@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes, but where did the term "Crypto-Jew" originate? Who coined the term? Who was the first to call these people "Crypto-Jews"? The answers to these questions will give you the origin of the term. I believe I had read somewhere a long time ago that an author of a book on the New Mexico Converso's was the first to use the term in publication, but now I can't find the reference.

      Randal Soza

      Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US DNA Project Admin

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 1:11 PM, "Miguel Gonzalez migstep@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Crypto is Greek for hidden.

      Miguel Ángel

      On Monday, June 9, 2014 2:59 PM, "Randal Soza mrrandalsoza@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm not sure anyone really knows who coined the term, but a Crypto Jew is one who maintains their Jewish faith behind closed doors, while publicly professing another faith. Marrano in Spanish means "pig" or "swine", but the Portuguese mean inning is taken from the verb marrar, meaning "forced one"

      Randal Soza

      Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US DNA Project Admin

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 12:46 PM, "Peggy Deras pderas@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm curious.
      Does anyone know the origins and meaning of the term: "Crypto Jew"?
      I understand "Conversos" but not "Crypto Jew".

      Peggy

      Re: The Converso's Dilemma

      Sun Jun 8, 2014 4:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Flora C" fnchavez

      Thank you for the article. It was a pleasant surprise to see a dear friend of mine Sonya Loya in the article. I already knew of her intention to become a rabbi, but it's always a pleasure to see her name mentioned in these articles. She is also very involved in bringing awareness to the Crypto Jew cause.
      Flora Chavez

      To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      From: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 14:32:56 -0700