1270Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: The Converso's Dilemma

  • Randal Soza
    Jun 9, 2014
      I'm not sure anyone really knows who coined the term, but a Crypto Jew is one who maintains their Jewish faith behind closed doors, while publicly professing another faith. Marrano in Spanish means "pig" or "swine", but the Portuguese mean inning is taken from the verb marrar, meaning "forced one"

      Randal Soza

      Jewish Mexico Arizona Southwest US DNA Project Admin

      On Jun 9, 2014, at 12:46 PM, "Peggy Deras pderas@... [MexicoDNAProject]" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm curious.
      Does anyone know the origins and meaning of the term: "Crypto Jew"?
      I understand "Conversos" but not "Crypto Jew".

      Peggy

      Re: The Converso's Dilemma

      Sun Jun 8, 2014 4:37 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Flora C" fnchavez

      Thank you for the article. It was a pleasant surprise to see a dear friend of mine Sonya Loya in the article. I already knew of her intention to become a rabbi, but it's always a pleasure to see her name mentioned in these articles. She is also very involved in bringing awareness to the Crypto Jew cause.
      Flora Chavez

      To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      From: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 14:32:56 -0700