124Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Re: Maya DNA

  • Joel Peres
    Jun 30 8:34 AM
      Linda,
      It may or may not be a challenge to uncover our Native American ancestors because in many cases Native American ancestry was taboo or undesirable and so records were embellished.  At other times the scribe didn't have the privilege we have of having an autosomal test at their disposal to correctly categorize the caste of the individual and so they went on outward appearance and family reputation.   As recently as my Grandmother's time, her birth certificate described her as "Tez Blanca" even though her mtDNA haplogroup is B2, she obviously wasn't white, she was mestiza.   Even in the United States, mislabeling happened.   My Mares ancestors from New Mexico on one census are listed as surname "Marris" & "White."  I know its them because of their first names, names like Cristobal, Maria Teofila, Jose Francisco, Juan Luis etc.   However, many other folks have been able to find their exact Native ancestors, look out for terms used to describe individuals such as "Lobo" or "Zambo" etc.  Perhaps others who are more versed in Mexican genealogy can chime in on labels used to described admixed individuals.
      Another suggestion is if your Mother is still with us, you can get her tested.  At that point under "Split View" on 23andme's Ancestry Composition, you'll see if any of your Native American is coming from her side.  I've tested several generations in my family and we used this tool to prove that our son's Ashkenazi percentage was actually coming from his Mexican side.  My wife's background is similar to yours (Penn Dutch, Dane, Norwegian, Dutch, German) and for a moment we suspected she may have had a Dutch Jewish ancestor.  Hope this info was helpful, sorry to ramble on & on.  :)
      Cheers
      Joel F Peres
      Chandler, AZ

      On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Linda <romero89@...> wrote:

      Thank you for your insights, Joel. They are very helpful. I would like to add that my father's YDNA is J2b1 (J-M205) and my mother's mtDNA is U5a1b3. My mother's family moved West and settled in the Midwest in the early 1800's. She was born in North Dakota and her father was born in Iowa. Her mother was born in Minnesota. (Who said that people didn't move around much in the old days?) That's where I would have suspected Native American influence to enter her line. However, it would be too recent to only show up as 6%. If the Mayflower descendants did not mix much with Native Americans in the early settlement days, then I have to conclude that my Native American genes must come from my father's side. Now the question is, how do I find out when and where it came from. It seems everyone I have found in the records, so far, was light skinned enough to be referred to as "Espanole" in the recordings by the Church.

      Since my father is direct male descendant of Lucas Romero y Chavez, born ca.1660-1670, and I believe he was Spanish, the Native American must be from his wife or the wife of one of his descendants in my line. Is my reasoning correct? If so, does anyone know how far back I should start looking? All the wives were listed as Espanole, so the Native American would be several generations back in one of their lines.

      I'm beginning to think that if I don't accidentally come across my Native American ancestor, I will never find her.

      Linda Romero

    • Show all 44 messages in this topic