      From: Kim Beals <gingercloud_1980@...>
      To: "MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com" <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Origins Results

      Hi Gary....just a follow-up to some of your questions.  Eurogenes K13 gives my Amerindian at 12.59%.  Dodecad World9 gives my Amerindian at 12.68%....these results would make more sense to me since my father is Mexican and I am half.  So again....it appears the 9% New World is probably a low estimate.

      We think the Ashkenazi comes from my mother's grandmother who was born in Frankfurt Am Main, Germany in 1868....at least that is what family oral tradition says about her ancestry.  But upon further thinking, I think you are probably right....23andMe didn't give me much Ashkenazi at all...so the 9% Jewish Diaspora probably is Sephardic as you say.  I wonder how accurate these percentages really are.  I also wonder why other Hispanics that I match did not show any Jewish Diaspora at all.

      A while back you mentioned different oracles at Gedmatch that brought out the Sephardic component fairly well.  The only one (I think) that brings it out for me is Dodecad Africa9.  There it says Morocco Jewish and North African Jewish.  Perhaps all of us have slightly different origins for our Sephardic ancestry.

      It is hard to know what to think about all of these different percentages depending on where you look.  For someone as admixed as I am perhaps the correct estimates will never be known.

      Thanks!
      Kim
      On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:15 AM, Gary Felix <garyf@...> wrote:

      Your welcome Kim,
      >European - 80%    No big surprise there except I'm sure I have some Spain which wasn't picked up. - this is curious but your Northern Euro dominates at 23andme also while your Southern comes in at 11 percent.

      >New World - 9%    I'm wondering if this is a bit underestimated. - I noticed this along with your East Asian is the same as 23andme has. Is this in line with Eurogenes K13 at gedmatch?

      >Jewish Diaspora - 9%   There is an oral history of Ashkenazi Jewish on my mother's side which >is my guess for this estimate.  Also....doesn't seem to be picking up any Sephardic which I do >believe is there on my father's side.
      I believe some of the Ashkenazi you are seeing is Sephardic in origin. How far back is your Mother's Ashkenazi?

      >Also....I'm confused about what it is showing when you click on your oldest maternal and paternal
      >ancestors tab.  If your parents have not tested, what does this mean?
      If you put the cursor over this feature an explanation is given.
      "show the location of the most distant family finder paternal/maternal ancestor of your family finder matches"

      Gary

      style="font-weight:bold;">From: Kim Beals <gingercloud_1980@...>
      Just thought I would share my results and give my first impressions:

      European - 80%    No big surprise there except I'm sure I have some Spain which wasn't picked up.
      New World - 9%    I'm wondering if this is a bit underestimated.
      Jewish Diaspora - 9%   There is an oral history of Ashkenazi Jewish on my mother's side which is my guess for this estimate.  Also....doesn't seem to be picking up any Sephardic which I do believe is there on my father's side.
      African - 2%
      East Asian - 1%    I believe this reflects the Native American component

      Also....I'm confused about what it is showing when you click on your oldest maternal and paternal ancestors tab.  If your parents have not tested, what does this mean?

      Thanks for your help.
      Kim

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic