1005Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Carrillos in Baja California

  • Edward Romero
    Feb 5, 2014
      To: Jaime Hernandez, According to what I have read, it was both, because almost all of the Priest were Spanish, yes, some were also Irish, French etc. but the vast majority were Spanish. Just like the Catholic Church of today, the Old Catholic Church was just as corrupt. In my Mother's family, there is a female back in the 1700's, she married a Spanish man of some importance, he did not want his wife to be identified as India, so the Priest listed her as Spanish, who knows how much money the Priest and the Church received for this little favor. It's from this female that our Family gets our American Indian features, but she was also very intelligent and that is another trait she passed down to us. My Grandmother on the other side of the family, is one of those ESPANOLAS, she was an extreme racist, she was always ready to advise you that her family NEVER lived in Mexico, they only landed there and immediately headed north and established the City of Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico in the 1600's.

      On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:59 AM, "sangerjaime@..." <sangerjaime@...> wrote:

      Ed,

      Was it the Spanish in general or the Spanish priests who were the racists?  Many of the Spanish baptismal records that I have gleaned, indicate the priests annotated the Catholic record to indicate their ethnicity, espanol, casta, mestizo, indio, pardo, mulatto, etc....

      Jaime R. Hernandez

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Edward Romero <itsmeed20@...>
      To: MexicoDNAProject <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Feb 4, 2014 10:23 pm
      Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Carrillos in Baja California

      Jim Avila, I have to disagree with you about the Ancestors of the Original Californios being in Mexico for CENTURIES, maybe a couple. They first were in Tejas, Nuevo Mexico and Arizona, then they settled California. As for the Carrillo's that family was Spanish, not Mexican. Yes, when they were in Baja and Alta California, they had no choice but to marry the available Indian or Mexican females. Jose Raimundo Carrillo was the First Gov. of Alta California, Leo Carrillo was from that family, so is my Mother.
      I was really surprised that the Spanish were so RACIST, they had all kinds of Racial Categories. It was OK for a Spanish male to marry a Mexican female Indian but it totally unacceptable for the Spanish female to marry a Mexican male Indian, any children from that type of marriage were considered trash. Another thing that really bothered me was how POWERFUL the Catholic Church was how they treated the American Indians. Just for your information, Hitler got the idea for the Yellow Jewish Star, from Queen Isabela, if you were Jewish you had to convert to Catholic Church, leave Spain or wear the Yellow Star, and oh yes she also killed more then a few Jews and I bet she also burned a lot of them.

      On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:21 PM, Jaime Avila <jmavila7@...> wrote:

      Sorry to be joining this discussion after so much has "gone down."  I am mainly responding to Teddi's comments and I am emphatically agreeing with him.  I have been researching the Californios as part of a history project for Nipomo Rancho in San Luis Obispo County.  I am also of the conclusion that the Californios for the most part were Mexican.  Many were early settlers from Michoacan, Zacatecas and central Mexico to Sonora--specifically to El Fuerte.  This was in late 1600, after 150+ years of peninsulares being in Mexico and NOT fresh from Spain.  From El Fuerte they went the Baja peninsula and with the Jesuits founded Loreto and the other missions in Baja in the early 1700's.  All the names mentioned in prior discussions as being in Alta California, inlcuding the Carrillos, were the families that eventually settled in Monterey, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego and became the Californios.  Leo Carrillo is a descendant of the Carrillos of Santa Barbara as were Ramona Carrillos and Maria Josefa Carrillo who married Anglo sea captains and settled in San Luis Obispo County.

      The history books show that some of the military comandantes and governors that came from Mexico were in fact born in Spain but they were in the minority.  Most of the Californio descendants were from the original soldiers and their families that had been in Mexico for centuries and were the ones that inherited the land grants that became the ranchos of early California.

      On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Teddi Montes <o2bnbaja@...> wrote:

      If the Carrillo grandparents or earlier are from La Paz or points south of there to the tip, there is a possibility they are of the Californio clan...if from the mainland, most likely not.   I have not been able to jump the Sea of Cortez from southern Baja with the Carrillo ancestor. in 1715.

      teddi

      On Feb 4, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Alicia Carrillo wrote:

      Teddi,

      I know some Carrillos from Baja California norte, specifically in Ensenada but I don't know their pedigree. They are not related to my husband as far as I know but have been land owners for several generations and married into the family in the late 50's.

      Alicia