1002Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Carrillos in Baja California

  • Jose rodriguez
    Feb 5, 2014
      Most immigrants to the northern Mexican frontiers came from central Mexico. They did nor originate in the northern Mexican state, nor did they came directly from Spain to Baja, Sonora etc.    Many, the majority, were first residents of Mexico before they migrated to Tejas, California, new Mexico and Arizona.  In 1598, the settlers of New Mexico came form central Mexico, including the Spaniards (Onate) and his wife a descendant of Cortez and Moctezuma.    There were no planes available during these times so the Spaniards could not fly to an airport in new Mexico.  In addition the majority of the settlers were natives, criollos, mestizos and some blacks, but most originated from central Mexico.

      On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:56 AM, "sangerjaime@..." <sangerjaime@...> wrote:

      Californios as well as Tejanos, and most Southwest Mexicans are admixtures of Spanish, Native American, Portuguese, Italian, Basque and Middle East ancestry, not necessarily in the order written and not necessarily of all of these........

      Jaime Hernandez

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Mister C <nchristensen@...>
      To: MexicoDNAProject <MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Feb 5, 2014 7:48 am
      Subject: Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Carrillos in Baja California

      I’ve been following with interest the discussion about the Carrillo’s of California.  Although Carrillo is not the family I’m currently researching I would like to give you some additional information on the name.

      Carrillo means Small Cart and the family originated from Northern Spain and arrived in New Spain (now Mexico) in abt 1614 (date of first mention in the New Spain records).  There were three individuals who came with Cortes, Hernando Carrillo, Jorge Carrillo, and Juan Carrillo; and a Fransico Carrillo who served with Tristán de Luna y Arellano. So all Mexican Carrillo’s would descend some way shape or form from one of these men.

      As with most conquistadors, they eventually married local native women.  As Edward stated below, it was fine for a Spaniard male to marry a native women but not so much for the women to marry a native man but eventually this occurred.

      So, yes, the Carrillo’s in the Californios were Mexican but they were also descendants of Spaniards.  So not to acknowledge that they were Spaniards would be a discredit to the ancestry.

      It would be interesting to see some journals of those Californio individuals and see if they considered themselves Spanish or Mexican. hmmmm. Since they were still called Dons I would suspect they considered themselves Spaniards. But that’s just my guess.

      thanks
      Nolin Christensen
      Genealogy Researcher

      Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:23 AM

      Jim Avila, I have to disagree with you about the Ancestors of the Original Californios being in Mexico for CENTURIES, maybe a couple. They first were in Tejas, Nuevo Mexico and Arizona, then they settled California. As for the Carrillo's that family was Spanish, not Mexican. Yes, when they were in Baja and Alta California, they had no choice but to marry the available Indian or Mexican females. Jose Raimundo Carrillo was the First Gov. of Alta California, Leo Carrillo was from that family, so is my Mother.
      I was really surprised that the Spanish were so RACIST, they had all kinds of Racial Categories. It was OK for a Spanish male to marry a Mexican female Indian but it totally unacceptable for the Spanish female to marry a Mexican male Indian, any children from that type of marriage were considered trash. Another thing that really bothered me was how POWERFUL the Catholic Church was how they treated the American Indians. Just for your information, Hitler got the idea for the Yellow Jewish Star, from Queen Isabela, if you were Jewish you had to convert to Catholic Church, leave Spain or wear the Yellow Star, and oh yes she also killed more then a few Jews and I bet she also burned a lot of them.

    • Show all 51 messages in this topic