1000Re: [MexicoDNAProject] Carrillo Clan

  • Jose rodriguez
    Feb 5, 2014
      There are Carrillos  in the area of Michoacan (La Pieded) Jalisco and Guanajuato  (Penjamo).  My maternal granpa last name was Carrillo and there were many Carrillo families in the area where I was born.  More than likely,the Carrillos did not originate in Baja nor Sonora but migrated there from Central Mexico.

      On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:30 PM, Edward Romero <itsmeed20@...> wrote:

      Hi, I can only speak about my Mother's family, were are Haplogroup D, which is American Indian, what I have read, is that includes Indians from Alaska to Chile. I find this kind of strange because I have only located a few from that group, the numbers continue to increase but when I first took the FamilyDNA test, there were only about 10 people on the list. I remember Leo Carrillo, he looked more Mexican then Spanish, but then you have to remember all the mixing thru the years. Ed

      On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:49 PM, Alicia Carrillo <alliecar@...> wrote:

      Teddi,

      What's the haplogroup of this Carrillo clan?

      From: Teddi Montes <o2bnbaja@...>
      To: MexicoDNAProject@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:30 AM
      Subject: [MexicoDNAProject] WAS Re: East Asia to Mexico dna now Californios.....

      The Carrillo family known as founders of the Baja and Alta California Californios were Juan Carrillo and his wife, Lucia Efigenia Millan.  Juan was a soldier in Baja California Sur, enlisted at Loreto by 1715.  His wife was the daughter of the soldier, Lazaro Millan who is found on the 1695 Pima War  Muster in northern Sonora and then found as a mission servant in 1730 in Comondu, BCS.  ALL of their children were born in Baja California with some of them ending up in Alta California.

      Lazaro was illiterate and of mixed background as most soldiers were in the northern frontier troops.  This founding Carrillo couple had at least 8 children, some going north and then returning, and a few remained in Alta California.

      I have just returned from Baja California Sur and was hoping to get a Carrillo Y test done but the Carrillos that remain in the far southern tip were difficult to locate and I will have to return there again to hunt my folks down and get the tests.

      Over the 40 years I have been doing this research I have found many references to who was "Spanish" and who was not.  When it comes down to it, the Mexican people are an admixture. meaning a combination of 3-5 ethnic groups with Spanish being only a part.  Yes, there are troops who were sent to the northwest frontier from Spain in the 1700s-that is a known.  Were the Californios from Spain?   Maybe a select upper class few, but for the most part, going to the Californias was NOT the choice of a privileged Spaniard and most settlers/soldiers were of poor  mixed background and/or "the seventh son of a seventh son".

      I have a very old 7th generation Californio Spanish-speaking first-language great aunt who was very proud to be of "pure Spanish" background.  I knew through my research that this was just not true.  So after the first 15 years of my work, one day I said to her...."You know, Tia Rosie?  We're aren't Spanish, we're Mexican"....ok, that gradually sunk in as I explained history and how our Californio families fit in and she was proud of that.   This very elderly lady did not like Blacks so I eventually told her about the over 250,000 African slaves that were brought to Mexico by 1700 and, oh by the way, a few of our ancestors on mission records of the early 1700s are listed as mulatos.....hummmmmm

      Okaaaay...she was fascinated and again taking it all in with her 85  yr old brain.  Then one day, I had to gently break it to her about her last prejudice.....she would sometimes make certain comments about Jews.........so one day while drinking coffee with her and listening to her stories of growing up in San Diego, I told her that we had ancestors who were Jewish...Sephardic Jews.  So today she still lives, close to 100, very proud of ALL of her genealogy, her FF testing indicating a couple Spanish hotspots and a whole LOT of Native American.   She is MEXICAN, and proud of it.

      I understand the hesitancy of many people who grew up in California in the late 1800s and early 1900s to admit they were/are Mexican, after all, in San Diego County, there were signs that said "NO MEXICANS ALLOWED" at certain establishments and that was not unusual in California.  Even in the 1930s my aunts talk of these signs at the local pool ...it was much better to say you were Spanish.

      Then one can bring up those soldiers who did come from Spain in the mid-late 1700s and ended up on the northern frontier....Within 50 years, their clothing would evolve to NOT Spanish military uniforms but to what was becoming MEXICAN, even their language would evolve........and even though the sons and daughters of soldiers married other sons and daughters of soldiers---usually cousins-, eventually New Spain would become Mexico and as life goes on, those descendants become NOT Spaniards but Mexican and they flowed nonstop both Californias.

      In California, a subset existed upon the Mex-Am War and afterwards and there has always been an inflow of "families" from the south.  Yes, there were SPANISH families among the Californios, but they, in my opinion, were the minority, and most were of mixed blood.

      Today the surname of Villavicencio is very prominent in Baja California, going back to a soldier from Mexico in the mid-1700s.  Many of those men today share the same traits---being very TALL and quite handsome and distinguished looking, and one could say Spanish-looking.   A few of these men until recently lived on remote roadless ranchos that have been in the family since before 1850 and their houses were furnished as if one had just walked in to a museum in San Luis Obispo....handmade mission-looking beds and chairs, complete with a special place for ancient santitios.  The friends/researchers who are familiar with them share the general thought that they are of the 18th century and now clashing with a modern world as their children leave the ranches....all over Baja California, one sees old people on the ranches, as the children have left.

      Sorry to wander off topic......please excuse my running-off of the brain.

      In the Californio DNA Project I have tested over 15 Californio males-descendants of the soldiers and mission workers of Baja and Alta California.  I have also done autosomal testing  for both sexes.  I head back for another 5 weeks of mule riding next week.

      Just my 50 pesos worth.....
      Teddi Montes
      The Californio DNA Project

      familia Feliz Leon (Sonora)
      familia Feliz Esquerr (Sonora)
      famila Feliz Penuelas (Sonora)
      familia Cota Leon (Sinaloa)
      familia Cota Verdugo (Baja California)
      familia Carrillo Millan (Baja California)
      famila Verdugo Carrillo (Baja California)
      familia Feliz Cota (Sonora)
      familia Morales Feliz (Alta California)
      familia Marron Morales (Baja and Alta California)
      familia Carrillo Mayoral (Baja California)
      familia Marron Carrillo (Baja California)
      familia Marron Arce (Baja California)

      On Feb 4, 2014, at 9:45 AM, <mayangrl@...> wrote:

      Hi Ed,

      I live in Sonoma County and we have the Carrillo family here, tho I'm not sure who still carries that name.  I teach middle school, and I recently found out a former student is a descendent of Maria Carrillo, tho I can't remember her last name.  She is blonder than blond and has an English surname. :-P  I'll see if some other teachers remember her.

      We have a high school in Santa Rosa named Maria Carrillo HS. (I sit on the SR school board.)

      Laura González

    • Show all 51 messages in this topic