100I am at loose ends

  • pderas1
    Jun 27, 2013
      Thank you very much Gary and all of the other posters here on Mexico DNA Project. I feel closer to finding my Mexican heritage here than anywhere else I have tried.

      My problem is that I only know the name of my grandfather, Manuel (Velasquez) Deras, his mother Ysabel Velasquez and his brother Hilario Deras. I have little or no idea where in Mexico they originated, only that Manuel came here before 1900 and Ysabel and Hilario followed by ship in 1905.

      Name: Isabel Velasquez [Ysabel Velasquez]
      Arrival Date: 1 Jul 1905
      Age: 40
      Birth Date: abt 1865
      Gender: Female
      Ethnicity: Mexican (Latino)
      Ship Name: Curacao
      Port of Arrival: San Francisco
      Port of Departure: Guaymas, Mexico
      Last Residence: Mexico
      Archive information (series:roll number): M1410:14

      She departed from Mazatlan with son Hilario:

      Departure
      1905 17 Jun Age: 8
      Guaymas and Way Ports, Mexico
      S.S. Curacao Accompanying mother Isabel Velasquez. Met in San Francisco by brother Manuel Deras who worked at Baker Hamilton.

      Manuel married my grandmother Ruth Packard. They had a tumultuous marriage and divorced in the 1920s. There were five children: Martin, Ruth Ann, Roland, Elwood and Donald. Grandmother Ruth was committed to Sonoma State Hospital for the Insane in 1927. There she stayed for 20 years.
      The children were scattered, and grew to adulthood, in foster care. Very little remains of any sort of family history. It is up to me to reassemble the history.

      I have learned that most Deras immigrants to the US come from Durango. Also San Luis Potosi has been mentioned. This is pretty much all I know about the Deras and Velasquez genealogy.

      Manuel Martin Velasquez Deras
      Birth 5 May, 1885 in Mexico
      Death Dec. 1980 in Fremont, Alameda, California, United States of America

      Birth
      1885 5 May
      Mexico

      Arrival
      1900 Age: 15
      San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
      Arrival in San Francisco with Mr. Baker of Baker & Hamilton,from Mexico, via Mexico City, Mexico; Texas, USA.

      Brings mother Isabel and brother Hilario from Mexico
      1905 1 Jul Age: 20
      San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
      Manuel Deras mentioned as meeting them on Passenger Manifest

      Employment
      1905 Age: 20
      San Francisco, California, USA
      Baker & Hamilton

      Residence
      1910 Age: 25
      610 Gates, San Francisco, California, USA
      Occupation Laborer - Also in residence: Mother: Isabelle Velasquez (widow) Brother Hilario Velasquez and an A. Velasquez in residence at 210 Union also in 1910 Directory

      Residence
      1913 Age: 28
      610 Gates, San Francisco, California, USA
      W Belasco Occupation: Waiter

      Residence
      1914 Age: 29
      65 Jackson Street, San Francisco, CA USA
      de Reis, Manuel M lab, r 65 Jackson http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=2469&path=California.San+Francisco.1914.Crocker-Langley+San+Francisco+Directory.275&sid=&gskw=

      Marriage to Ruth Packard
      abt 1915 10 Apr Age: 29
      San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA

      Residence
      1917 -1918 Age: 32
      145 Edinburgh, San Francisco, San Francisco, California
      Manuel Velasquez Deras

      Residence
      1918 Age: 33
      203 Ogden Ave, San Francisco, California, USA
      Occupation: Waiter

      Residence
      1919 Age: 34
      145 Edinburgh, San Francisco, California, USA
      Occupation: Waiter

      Residence
      1920 Age: 35
      145 Edinburgh, San Francisco, San Francisco, California

      Residence
      1920 Age: 35
      145 Edinburgh, San Francisco, San Francisco, California

      Residence
      1923 Age: 38
      145 Edinburgh, San Francisco, San Francisco, California

      Residence
      1928 Age: 43
      Imperial Valley, California, USA

      Name change to Frank Blanco

      Marriage to Amelia M
      1929 abt Age: 44
      date unknown
      Marriage or Common Law

      Residence
      1930 Age: 45
      2836 Washington St, Alameda, Alameda, California, USA

      Residence
      1940 1 Apr Age: 54
      2836 Washington St, Alameda, Alameda, California, USA

      Application for Social Security Account Number
      1941 5 Feb Age: 55
      Alameda, CA USA
      Photos (1)

      Residence
      1942 Age: 57
      2836 Washington St, Alameda, Alameda, California, USA

      Residence
      1943 Age: 58
      2836 Washington, Alameda, Alameda, California, USA

      Naturalization
      1948 19 Nov Age: 63
      Oakland, Alameda, California, USA
      Certificate of Naturalization
      Photos (1)

      Frank Blanco contacts Betty Warrington Deras
      1978 Sep Age: 93
      California, United States
      Warren Deras: "It was about September or October, 1978. I returned the call, which was to the front desk of a fleabag hotel in Oakland. I asked for Manuel Deras and no one knew who he was. I called Bill, and he went over and found him.

      Death
      1980 Dec Age: 95
      Fremont, Alameda, California, United States of America

      Also Known As
      Frank Belasquez Blanco

      I have sent my uncle's DNA (he is the last living child of Manuel Deras and Ruth Packard) for testing on FTDNA and gotten some Hispanic results. I have also done my own DNA on Ancestry DNA. What do I do now?

      Peggy Deras
    • Show all 63 messages in this topic