Antonio Banderas as Pancho Villa

  • Ramon4
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2002
      In this morning's Orange County Register, columnist Yvette Cabrera
      says the Antonio Banderas is set to star in a new HBO movie about
      Pancho Villa. http://www.ocregister.com/columns/
      She then goes on to say that this casting has caused controversy with
      some Mexican-American groups because Banderas is Spanish and these
      groups feel that because Villa fought against Spanish influence
      during the Revolution, a Spaniard should not be playing the part of
      Villa.

      This is the first I've heard of the movie or the controversy. I'd
      like to hear some comments from the members of this group concerning
      this. I'm not so sure that Villa was anti-Spanish; seems to me he
      was more anti-rich-establishment, and could give a rat's ass about
      being Spanish.

      While it's always a mistake to try and get correct history from the
      movies, I hope this new production avoids the 1930's stereotypes and
      is able to use some of the new scholarship of Friedrich Katz in
      his `The Life and Times of Pancho Villa.'

      It has always been my dream that somebody like Ken Burns would do a
      multipart series on the Mexican Revolution. I think there is enough
      there to interest the average TV viewer, or at least the TV viewers
      who have enjoyed Burns' three previous efforts.

      But if Banderas should not play Pancho Villa, who should? Off the
      top of my head, I can't think of a big named Hispanic actor who has
      the look of Villa, so I'd like to hear some suggestions from this
      forum.

      Ramon