Mexican Revolution Photos

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2002
      I just recently stumbled on some photos from an estate auction of
      Homer Scott. My research shows he was a photographer centered in El
      Paso Tx at least in 1911. I'm guessing my photos are from the period
      when seige was laid to Ciudad Juarez from April to May of 1911.
      Numerous picture of Madero and his family and supporters. The most
      dramatic is of Madero standing in a car in the desert surrounded by
      many followers including Pancho Villa, Silvestre Terrazas and
      Carranza. I'm trying to identify as many as possible. There is also
      one of a "governors conference" in El Paso....guessing sometime
      between July of 1911 and January 1912. It shows the territorial
      governors of NM and AZ, Governor Colquitt of Texas, Gov. Abraham
      Gonzales of Chihuahua and Gov. Gayou (?) of Sonora. In the
      background there is a shadowy figure that I believe may be Don Luis
      Terrazas. I've been trying to figure out if this is possible.
      Anybody out there with any opinions? Willing to share photos with
      others who are interested. I've not seen them anywhere else yet. I
      may also have an opportunity to acquire more in the next couple of
      weeks.

      I've been researching the Mexican Revolution as a backdrop for a
      historical novel but just can't get enough...... I tend to think of
      myself as more of an historian than a novelist..... My family has
      connections to Pancho Villa in unusual ways and I'm trying to make
      sense of it. I learned that Luz Corral would make visits to my
      granparents home probably in the 30's in Silver City NM. Based on
      the scant information it sounds like she had family in that area but
      stayed at my grandparents because of a close relationship with my
      grandmother who was from the same town. What makes the relationship
      unusual is that she was married to a Terrazas :)

      I noticed previous messages regarding the numerous 'tales' of Luis
      Terrazas Jr. "kidnapping" and torture. I also have many conflicting
      renditions of his ordeals. One of the more interesting was told by a
      direct descendant. I think the tales of torture were probably
      embellished to enlist as much help from the families many friends in
      the US. I will try to track down the story and provide it in this
      forum. I spent some time in El Paso and LA tracking the Terrazas
      family whereabouts during their "exile". Luis Jr. family reported
      that he died as result of lingering affects of his torture. I think
      that may be a stetch. He died of heart attack in LA while picking up
      a grocery delivery at a market just down the block from where he
      lived with his family. He was buried in LA until Luis Sr returned to
      Chihuahua in 1920.