Personality/Phycological Analysis of Pancho Villa !

  • mnrslvr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2009
      Has anyone on this group ever read an analysis of Pancho Villa's phycological "make-up" ? An analysis of Villa by a professional in this mental health field , that has giving a "mental health evaluation" of Villa and not just the opinion of a "layman" like myself !

      Villa's "sudden mood swings" were part of his legend . He could cry at children singing or fly into a rage & personally execute prisoners as was said to have happened to 75 mostly ex-Villa traitors in the Juarez cemetery in November of 1913 . He did not smoke tobacco or consume alcohol , but was a monumental bigmist by marrying (estimate) over 20 women .

      There is the old saying that "power currupts , but absolute power currupts absolutely" ! Was this part of Villa's "personality change" ? The story of how Villa acted when General Obergon came to Villa's HQ & tried to act as a "peacemaker" between Villa & Carranza , is telling as it shows Villa acting almost insane in his hatred & disgust for Obregon , yet "wavering" back and forth in indecision of having Obergon murdered or not ! Villa's staff finally won out , by stating "how bad this would look to the world for a guest of Villa's to be killed in his HQ !

      SO , is there any professional evaluation of Villa's personality , that explains Villa's "eratic mood swings & ultra-violent reactions" ? Did the stress of 10 years of war & death & pressure of leadership & responsibility , "wear him down , mentally" ? Was he a different , more stable man in retirement in Canutillo ? In many ways Villa was the ultimate parodox ; hero/villan , compassionate/muderous , thoughtful/maniacal , visionary/blinded by hate , patriot of Mexico/destroyer of Mexico , charming/brutish !

      Opinions & comments , please !
    • Bryant
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2009
        These stories that he married these women are a myth.

        I think he was bipolar.

        Bryant

        --- In MexicanRevolution@yahoogroups.com, "mnrslvr" <monroesilver@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone on this group ever read an analysis of Pancho Villa's phycological "make-up" ? An analysis of Villa by a professional in this mental health field , that has giving a "mental health evaluation" of Villa and not just the opinion of a "layman" like myself !
        >
        > Villa's "sudden mood swings" were part of his legend . He could cry at children singing or fly into a rage & personally execute prisoners as was said to have happened to 75 mostly ex-Villa traitors in the Juarez cemetery in November of 1913 . He did not smoke tobacco or consume alcohol , but was a monumental bigmist by marrying (estimate) over 20 women .
        >
        > There is the old saying that "power currupts , but absolute power currupts absolutely" ! Was this part of Villa's "personality change" ? The story of how Villa acted when General Obergon came to Villa's HQ & tried to act as a "peacemaker" between Villa & Carranza , is telling as it shows Villa acting almost insane in his hatred & disgust for Obregon , yet "wavering" back and forth in indecision of having Obergon murdered or not ! Villa's staff finally won out , by stating "how bad this would look to the world for a guest of Villa's to be killed in his HQ !
        >
        > SO , is there any professional evaluation of Villa's personality , that explains Villa's "eratic mood swings & ultra-violent reactions" ? Did the stress of 10 years of war & death & pressure of leadership & responsibility , "wear him down , mentally" ? Was he a different , more stable man in retirement in Canutillo ? In many ways Villa was the ultimate parodox ; hero/villan , compassionate/muderous , thoughtful/maniacal , visionary/blinded by hate , patriot of Mexico/destroyer of Mexico , charming/brutish !
        >
        > Opinions & comments , please !

      • Paul Renteria
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20, 2009
          Life is tough enough to keep oneself from being Assassinated, Poisoned and a Moving Target in early 1900's Mexico as it is nowadays, let alone being responsible for Thousands of Troops; just walking or riding across the deserts of the Southwest is a Major Challenge-witness the dying immigrants today,,,,,,

          Lack of sleep makes anyone appear out of their mind; Pancho Villa was known to go without sleep for 5 days and never slept in the same spot on consecutive nights-even in his own Casas. My recent House Guest, Ernesto Nava Villa-Pancho Villa's 93 year old Last Surviving Son, mentioned how he himself would go without sleep for 5 days, as he inherited a Tireless Work Ethic & Personal Drive from Pancho Villa. One example is how he would leave work on a Friday evening in Socorro, New Mexico and drive all night on Old Route 66, a 2 lane Road to San Francisco, CA to visit his daughter in the hospital and then return to Socorro, New Mexico before work started on Monday-this was over 60 years ago in an old jalopy!

          As for the women, Pancho Villa was raised in the Hacienda System, a major part of that being the Catholic Religion.  The contradictions of Rogue Priests & some Hacienda Owners
          that have surfaced Today were present then.  If Pancho saw a women he wanted, he took her to the local church to marry and make her a wife as he was taught by the church,,,,,,

          Right or wrong he had women all over the country, that he tried to make Honorable by marrying them; not unlike many Mistress' & Children that some of our leading Politicians, Athletes & Celebrities have scattered throughout our Country today. Pancho Villa also adopted over 300 children and sent them to schools in the USA, as he was a firm believer in education, as are many of us today,,,,,,

          These stories that he married these women are a myth.

          I think he was bipolar.

          Bryant

          --- In MexicanRevolution@ yahoogroups. com, "mnrslvr" <monroesilver@ ...> wrote:

          > Has anyone on this group ever read an analysis of Pancho Villa's phycological "make-up" ? An analysis of Villa by a professional in this mental health field , that has giving a "mental health evaluation" of Villa and not just the opinion of a "layman" like myself !
          >
          > Villa's "sudden mood swings" were part of his legend . He could cry at children singing or fly into a rage & personally execute prisoners as was said to have happened to 75 mostly ex-Villa traitors in the Juarez cemetery in November of 1913 . He did not smoke tobacco or consume alcohol , but was a monumental bigmist by marrying (estimate) over 20 women .
          >
          > There is the old saying that "power currupts , but absolute power currupts absolutely" ! Was this part of Villa's "personality change" ? The story of how Villa acted when General Obergon came to Villa's HQ & tried to act as a "peacemaker" between Villa & Carranza , is telling as it shows Villa acting almost insane in his hatred & disgust for Obregon , yet "wavering" back and forth in indecision of having Obergon murdered or not ! Villa's staff finally won out , by stating "how bad this would look to the world for a guest of Villa's to be killed in his HQ !
          >
          > SO , is there any professional evaluation of Villa's personality , that explains Villa's "eratic mood swings & ultra-violent reactions" ? Did the stress of 10 years of war & death & pressure of leadership & responsibility , "wear him down , mentally" ? Was he a different , more stable man in retirement in Canutillo ? In many ways Villa was the ultimate parodox ; hero/villan , compassionate/ muderous , thoughtful/maniacal , visionary/blinded by hate , patriot of Mexico/destroyer of Mexico , charming/brutish !
          >
          > Opinions & comments , please !

        • E Bryant Holman
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2009
            During Villa's lifetime, unscrupulous journalists fabricated all sorts of stories about Villa and passed them off as fact. Subsequently, historians used these fictitious newspaper accounts in order to have some sort of foundation for their own writings, and thus completely false allegations have down to us as if they were facts. One such case is the myth that Villa concocted the phoney marriages with these women. In fact, Villa's dalliances where almost always arranged by third parties. Villa's agents would arrange with the families of the women to meet with them upon his arrivel in a certain location, and time would be limited, so that either he would just have sex with them and then go onto the next item on his agenda, or he might actually spend the night with them. The families of the women would try to arrange this as best they could to a period in which the woman were the most fertile with a view to her becoming pregnant, as this was a boon to them, as Villa would always provide for his offspring and the immediate family.

            All of this was thoroughly investigated by Dr. Osorio who took the time to explain all this to me a few years ago. There is no case that can be corroborated of a fake wedding by any other source other than fake newspaper accounts that originally spawned this myth.

            On Fri Mar 20 10:01 , Paul Renteria sent: