Rudolfo Fierro

  • Gerald Raun
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
      Sometime back there were several messages posted that talked about
      Rudolfo Rierro, one of the most enigmatic of the Villistas. Recently
      I did a search for Fierro and found very little but there was one
      interesting note about a novella, written by James Carlos Blake,
      entitled I, Fierro and published in Quarterly West, 1991.
      Supposedly, this has been expanded into a novel. I have not yet been
      able to fnd a copy.The web site was written by a literary critic and
      includes this excerpt:

      The greatest tragedy that can befall a man is never to know who he
      really is. So I have heard. I have also heard that the greatest
      tragedy a man can meet is never to find something to love. It seems
      to me that these notions mean the same thing, but even if they don't
      I cannot agree with either. Who has not known men who discovered the
      truth about themselves only to be tortured by it for the rest of
      their lives. Is man worse off when he doesn't know who he is or when
      he learns that he is truly a coward? When he is ignorant of his true
      nature or when he knows he is a traitor at heart? My point, I think,
      is clear. Not that I pity either cowards or traitors. To the
      contrary: in a just world they would all be made to face the hard
      truth about themselves before they died. In my fashion I made many
      of them do exactly that.