Debate

  • Gerald Raun
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 5 12:59 PM
      Good arguments regarding the effectiveness of Obregon and lack of any
      by Zapata. I would think that any discussion of who was the most
      effective general during the Mexican Revolution would have to specify
      what period of the revolution. Obregon did not even get involved until
      the Constitutionalists rose up against Huerta.
    • Grant Whitley
      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 10 12:23 PM
        --- In MexicanRevolution@yahoogroups.com, E Bryant Holman <bryanth@...>
        wrote:
        >And, also by the way: do you actually think that a statement about
        >having "young leftist intellectuals to run the country and bring in
        >actual autonomy and independence for Mexico" has anything to do with
        >having internationalist designs? "Yankee Go Home" is not a call for
        >Mexico to go conquer Iraq or anything along those lines, at least >not
        according to my way of thinking.

        My point was that Zapata didn't have an agenda insofar as the US was
        concerned, and Villa was friendly to the US until the US recognized
        Carranza's government, which didn't come until after Villa was defeated
        on the battlefield in 1915. You wish to predate American opposition to
        Villa so as to blame the US for Villa's defeats in 1915- that's what I
        take issue with.