Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Al-Masry Al-Youm (Egypt) - Update: Death toll rises to five in Port Said

Expand Messages
  • Paul
    *Al-Masry Al-Youm****(Egypt) - *Monday 4 March 2013** *Update: Death toll rises to five in Port Said* MENA Mon, 04/03/2013 - 15:32
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013

      Al-Masry Al-Youm (Egypt) - Monday 4 March 2013


      Update: Death toll rises to five in Port Said


      Mon, 04/03/2013 - 15:32





      Four were killed and 404 were injured late Sunday in violence between police and anti-regime protesters in Cairo and Port Said, said Mohamed Sultan, the head of Egypt's ambulance services.


      Two members of Egypt's security forces and three civilians were killed on Sunday and hundreds injured when shooting broke out during clashes between protesters and police in the Suez Canal city of Port Said, security and medical sources said on Monday, bringing the death toll to five.


      Meanwhile, the Armed Forces denied rumors that Army Colonel Sherif al-Arishy, who was shot in Port Said on Sunday, died of his injuries.


      The colonel, according to the Armed Forces, is currently in Helmiya Military Hospital being treated for a gunshot wound in his right leg.


      The Armed Forces spokesperson also denied reports of clashes between the Armed Forces and the police in Port Said Sunday., saying that both sides were shot at by unknown attackers.


      Sultan said in press statements earlier on Monday, quoted by state-run news agency MENA, that 30 ambulances helped transport 400 protesters who were injured outside the Port Said Security Directorate and governorate building. He noted that the victims suffered various injuries from Molotovs, birdshot and tear gas.


      Port Said Health Department head Helmy al-Afny had announced the death of two CSF officers who were shot during the clashes outside the security directorate, the death toll later rising to three.


      The clashes in Port Said erupted after the Interior Ministry transferred defendants in the 2012 Port Said Stadium massacre case to a prison in Zagazig, Sharqiya.


      The defendants are awaiting a final verdict on 9 March over charges of murdering 72 football fans after a Premiere League football match in February 2012. A Cairo court sentenced 21 defendants in the case to death in January, sparking ongoing protests in Port Said.


      Sultan also added that three protesters were hit by a police car in Cairo during clashes Sunday night around Tahrir Square.


      Edited translation from MENA



    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.