Haaretz - Turkey in warning to Israel: You have one day to apologize for Gaza flotilla raid

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Haaretz - Thu, September 01, 2011

      Published 15:15 01.09.11
      Latest update 15:15 01.09.11

      Turkey in warning to Israel: You have one day to apologize for Gaza
      flotilla raid

      Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu says UN-authored Palmer report on the
      2010 incident must be published by September 2 as scheduled, and
      threatens sanctions if Israel doesn't apologize beforehand.
      By Barak Ravid

      http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/turkey-in-warning-to-israel-you-have-one-day-to-apologize-for-gaza-flotilla-raid-1.381975

      Turkey declared Thursday that it would not tolerate further delay in the
      release of a United Nations report concerning Israel's deadly raid on a
      Gaza-bound flotilla in 2010, and warned of consequences including
      sanctions should Israel continue to refuse to apologize for the incident.

      Publication of the Palmer Commission's report into the Israel Defense
      Force's raid, in whichTurkish activists died aboard the Mavi Marmara,
      has been postponed three times. In each case the delay took place
      following the consent of both Turkey and Israel, and as a result of
      their joint request to the UN secretary general.

      Haaretz reported earlier this week that Prime Minister Benjamin
      Netanyahu had suggested to both Turkey and to the United Nations
      secretary general that the release date again be postponed past the
      scheduled September 2 release date, and that the idea was dismissed by
      the Turks.

      Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu told the Turkish daily Today
      Zaman on Thursday that Ankara "could not accept a six-month extension."

      "The release date of the UN report is the last date for us. We will put
      Plan B into play if no [Israeli] apology,” Davutoğlu told the Today's
      Zaman, without elaborating on what that "Plan B" may be.

      In another reference to the possible consequences that would occur in
      the eventuality that Israel continued to avoid a public apology for the
      raid, the Turkish FM said that Turkey intended to " impose sanctions
      which both Israel and other international parties are aware of."

      Davutoğlu explained, according to the Today Zaman, that Turkey has
      determined a very clear and principled position and that it will also do
      what is necessary.

      According to the top Turkish official, Israel and Turkey were in fact
      already on their way to resolve the issue that has stood between the
      long-time allies for over a year, saying that the two countries were
      well on their way to agreeing on an apology, when Israel reportedly
      "stepped back" at the last minute due to what the Zaman has called
      "intra-coalition squabbles while making a political decision."

      We patiently waited for Israel to decide. It seems Israel has some
      difficulty in making a decision. Turkey has already determined its
      position on this issue. We have already expressed that we cannot accept
      that,” Davutoğlu added.

      The Turkish FM also said that Ankara would fulfill all that is required
      from it when the UN announces the report, adding that the flotilla raid
      report will not be a “jointly approved report” and that there might also
      be some elements that Turkey won't agree to. “We will unveil our
      position regarding those [elements],” he added.