JPost - Dagan: From what I know, Ofer bros. didn't break the law

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      JPost - Wed, Jun 1, 2011
      The Jerusalem Post
      Dagan: From what I know, Ofer bros. didn't break the law
      By JPOST.COM STAFF
      06/01/2011 21:48

      Former Mossad chief says "there's no law against docking in Iran,"
      there's no embargo, only sanctions; says he's worried about Israel.

      http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=223215

      Former Mossad chief Meir Dagan on Wednesday dismissed the scandal
      surrounding the Ofer brothers' dealings with Iran for the second time in
      three days.

      The entire affair, he said, is a question of whether they broke the law
      by sending merchandise to the Islamic Republic. "From what I know, they
      didn't break the law."

      The former Mossad chief told a conference in Tel Aviv that he was
      speaking out not because he's the Ofer family defender - "I'm not their
      representative." He explained, "I am just worried about the State of
      Israel."

      The Ofer family, he said, did not trade with Iran. And besides, he
      added, "nobody placed an embargo on Iran, they only placed sanctions on it."

      On Monday, Dagan told reporters he thought the entire affair was
      "exaggerated."

      A day later, however, an air of mystery was injected into questions
      raised after the US State Department placed sanctions on the Ofer
      brothers for selling an oil tanker to Iran's state shipping company,
      which is blacklisted as part of sanctions to prevent Iran developing a
      nuclear program.

      A special session of the Knesset Economics Committee that was supposed
      to shed light on the government's behavior in the affair was brought to
      an abrupt halt after Committee Chairman MK Carmel Shama-Hacohen was
      handed a mysterious note, after which he immediately adjourned the meeting.

      Shama-Hacohen refused to identify the author of the note, but said it
      wasn’t from a political or business related source, indicating that the
      instruction may have been security related.