JPost - 'PM agreed to lease Jordan Valley from Palestinians'

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      JPost - Mon, Nov 1, 2010
      The Jerusalem Post
      'PM agreed to lease Jordan Valley from Palestinians'
      By JPOST.COM STAFF
      11/01/2010 11:29

      http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=193524

      As part of negotiations, US reportedly proposes Israel lease border
      region for 7 years; MK says, "Why do I need to lease land that belongs
      to us?"

      Israeli sources on Monday confirmed that the US proposed that Israel
      lease parts of the Jordan Valley from the Palestinians for an additional
      seven years, Army Radio reported.

      According to the Monday report, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu agreed
      to the idea, but demanded that the arrangement be for a longer period of
      time than the original offer. "Seven years is not enough - an
      arrangement like this needs to last for dozens of years," Netanyahu said
      in closed talks, according to Army Radio.

      A senior minister said that "anything less than a 99-year lease is not
      worth talking about," according to the report.

      Habayit Hayehudi head Daniel Herschkowitz dismissed the idea, even if it
      is for 99 years, Army Radio reported. He said, "If we agree to the
      offer, we will be broadcasting to the Palestinians that the land is
      actually theirs." Adding, "I'm not the only one who thinks this way."

      Herschkowitz drove home his point, saying, "Why do I need to lease land
      from them that belongs to us?," the report said.