JPost - Barak: Absence of a peace deal with Syria could mean war

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      JPost -
      The Jerusalem Post
      Barak: Absence of a peace deal with Syria could mean war
      By YAAKOV KATZ
      01/02/2010 19:13

      Defense minister tells top IDF officers talks with Damascus should be
      opened as soon as possible, says new sanctions on Iran likely won't have
      desired effect.

      http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=167490

      In the absence of a peace deal with Syria, Israel could find itself at
      war with its neighbor to the north, Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned
      on Monday.

      Speaking at an annual gathering of top IDF officers, Barak said that it
      was crucial to open negotiations as soon as possible and while the other
      side – Syria – perceived Israel as being strong.

      The coming year, Barak said, would be one of many challenges but also of
      opportunities for peace with Syria and the Palestinians

      “In the absence of a deal with Syria we could reach an armed conflict
      that could develop into a full-fledged war,” Barak said. “As is in the
      Middle East, immediately after the war we will sit down and negotiate
      exactly what we have been talking about for the past 15 years.”

      Regarding Iran, Barak said that the Islamic Republic was the greatest
      threat on world order and that while the United States was planning a
      new round of tough sanctions it was doubtful that they would have the
      desired effect.

      “We can’t foresee the effectiveness of the sanctions and the chance of
      the Americans recruiting the Chinese is also not great in light of the
      developments in US-Chinese relations in recent days,” he said. “As I
      have said in the past, all options are on the table and I mean it.”