Fatah's "Abu Mujahid" presents Israeli gov't with ultimatum

  • Josh Pollack
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      Fatah Leader Presents Israeli Government With 12-Hour Ultimatum
      GMP20020331000295 Tel Aviv Ynet WWW-Text in Hebrew 1752 GMT 31 Mar 02
      [Report by Ali Waqid]

      [FBIS Translated Text]
      Abu-Mujahid, one of the leaders of Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the Fatah
      military branch, told Ynet tonight: "We are presenting the Israeli
      Government with a 12-hour ultimatum as of 2100 [1800 GMT] tonight: Unless
      the IDF pulls out of Arafat's bureau in Ramallah, we will carry out
      unprecedented military actions in Tel Aviv, Haifa, Jerusalem, and
      everywhere, which will be above anything Israelis can imagine."

      Abu-Mujahid added: "Our people have hundreds of 'istishhad' men
      (perpetrators of suicide attacks) lined up, ready to strike at any point in
      Israel if the Israeli aggression against the ra'is [leader] and our people
      continues."

      According to him, "if the Israeli people want security, they should
      press for an immediate government policy shift. The Israelis should know
      that what happened until now is just a fraction of what we are planning in
      retaliation for the Israeli policy. We are not afraid. Even if the IDF
      enters every city and every street and every house, we will retaliate by
      staging military actions on every street and in every house."

      He maintained that "the perpetrators of attacks will take Israeli
      security down to a new low and continue to undermine the public order and
      stability in Israel until the government changes its policy."

      [Description of Source: Tel Aviv Ynet WWW-Text in Hebrew -- Web site run by
      independent, centrist, largest-circulation Yedi'ot Aharonot daily; root URL
      on filing date: http://www.ynet.co.il]