Pope Calls Security Wall 'Tragic', PA Gets Photo-Op it Wanted

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13 11:37 AM
    13 mai 2009 –Arouts7 (Israël)
    Pope Calls Security Wall 'Tragic', PA Gets Photo-Op it Wanted

    by Gil Ronen

    http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/131344

    Pope speaks with security barrier as backdrop (Israel News photo: Flash 90).

    (IsraelNN.com) Israel’s attempts to prevent a situation in which the
    pope would be photographed near the security barrier failed Wednesday,
    as the pope spoke at the Aida refugee neighborhood and drove past a
    section of the security wall in his popemobile. In what is seen as “a
    major publicity coup” for the PA, Benedict XVI was photographed near the
    security barrier which Israel built after hundreds of its civilians were
    massacred by suicide bombers who crossed over from the PA.

    As the pope visited a school and shook the hands of children, organizers
    released 61 black balloons into the air, symbolizing the 61 years since
    Israel was established.

    "Towering over us, as we gather here this afternoon, is a stark reminder
    of the stalemate that relations between Israelis and Palestinians seem
    to have reached - the wall," the pope then said in a speech. “In a world
    where more and more borders are being opened up – to trade, to travel,
    to movement of peoples, to cultural exchanges – it is tragic to see
    walls still being erected. How we long to see the fruits of the much
    more difficult task of building peace! How earnestly we pray for an end
    to the hostilities that have caused this wall to be built!”

    Lauds UNRWA
    "My visit to the Aida refugee camp this afternoon gives me a welcome
    opportunity to express my solidarity with all the homeless Palestinians
    who long to be able to return to their birthplace, or to live
    permanently in a homeland of their own," Benedict XVI added. "To all the
    officials of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency who care for the
    refugees, I express the appreciation felt by countless men and women all
    over the world for the work that is done here and in other camps
    throughout the region."

    While it is an open secret that UNRWA is dominated by terrorists, the
    pope did not mention this.

    “On both sides of the wall, great courage is needed if fear and mistrust
    is to be overcome, if the urge to retaliate for loss or injury is to be
    resisted,” he said, adding that “There has to be a willingness to take
    bold and imaginative initiatives towards reconciliation: if each insists
    on prior concessions from the other, the result can only be stalemate.”

    Local Arabs were well aware of the importance of a photo opportunity
    near the wall and made extensive preparations for making the most of the
    papal visit, as can be seen in this video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykoIfnCU834&feature=player_embedded

    Earlier in the day, the pope prayed in the Church of the Nativity in
    Bethlehem.