Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Sharon Blocks Cease-fire Proposal

Expand Messages
  • Leonard Grossman
    Sharon Blocks Cease-fire Proposal http://www.usatoday.com/aponline/2002010113/2002010113473900.htm By GREG MYRE Associated Press Writer JERUSALEM - Prime
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Sharon Blocks Cease-fire Proposal

      http://www.usatoday.com/aponline/2002010113/2002010113473900.htm

      By GREG MYRE Associated Press Writer

      JERUSALEM - Prime Minister Ariel Sharon on Tuesday blocked Israel's
      president from making a yearlong cease-fire proposal to the Palestinian
      parliament in an unusual public disagreement over what gestures Israel
      should make as Mideast violence declines.

      Sharon rejected the proposal for President Moshe Katsav to address
      Palestinian legislators in the West Bank town of Ramallah, calling it a
      public relations ploy by Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, a Sharon aide
      said on condition of anonymity. That brought a rare rebuke by Katzav, whose
      post is largely ceremonial.

      Katsav, a member of Sharon's Likud party, rarely gets involved in the
      nitty- gritty of policymaking. The proposed address would have put him in
      the political spotlight and comes at a time when Israelis and Palestinians
      are both holding internal debates about what sort of moves to make to end
      15 months of confrontation.

      U.S. envoy Anthony Zinni will return Thursday to push for steps toward
      renewing peace talks, said Paul Patin, a spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in
      Tel Aviv.

      During a four-day visit, Zinni will ask Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat to
      dismantle militant groups and will urge Sharon to ease restrictions on the
      Palestinians, Patin said. Zinni broke off his first Mideast mission in
      mid-December amid a sharp escalation of violence, including a series of
      attacks on Israeli civilians by Palestinian militants. At the time, U.S.
      officials criticized Arafat for not doing enough to prevent such attacks.

      Violence has declined considerably since Arafat delivered a Dec. 16 speech
      calling for an end to attacks against Israel, and some in the Israeli
      government have called for an easing of the restrictions placed on the
      Palestinians.

      Sharon, however, has been reluctant to make conciliatory gestures, arguing
      Arafat must do more to end attacks on Israelis.

      Katsav was ''disappointed'' by Sharon's veto, Israel radio reported, and
      the president's office issued a rare statement challenging Sharon. ''The
      presidency regrets the tone of the reaction from the Prime Minister's
      office, a tone which is both unseemly and inappropriate,'' it said.

      The Israel media cited unidentified officials in Sharon's office as calling
      Katsav's proposal ''stupid'' and a ''fool's trap.''

      Sharon's office issued a statement saying the prime minister had ''great
      respect for the president'' and denying epithets had been used to dismiss
      Katsav's plan.

      Sharon was able to block Katsav under an informal system that generally
      keeps the president from taking any major political initiatives on his own.

      The idea of the Katsav speech was first raised by a former Israeli Arab
      legislator, Abdel Wahab Darawsheh, who referred to the truce as a
      ''hudna,'' a term from Arab tribal law describing a specific period of
      non-belligerence.

      Darawsheh said the plan had Arafat's backing, and Katsav then indicated he
      was interested.

      Foreign Minister Shimon Peres, who has been attempting to negotiate a truce
      with the Palestinians, told Israeli television he had no objection to
      Katsav speaking to the Palestinian parliament. But, he cautioned against
      attempts to ''to carry out negotiations simultaneously on different programs.''

      Peres said that if the next ''two or three days'' remain quiet, he thought
      the two sides could begin to implement a formal cease-fire plan outlined
      last year by CIA chief George Tenet.

      Peres has been holding informal talks with Palestinian Parliament Speaker
      Ahmed Qureia on a framework for a possible peace deal.

      As a first step toward a treaty, Israel would recognize a Palestinian
      state. However, the two sides remain far apart on how much territory the
      Palestinians would receive for such a state.

      Also Tuesday, Palestinian security officials reported that Israeli tanks
      have pulled out of Nablus, one of several Palestinian cities where troops
      had taken up positions after a string of Palestinian attacks on Israeli
      civilians. However, the Israel military denied that it had pulled back its
      tanks.

      In another development, Israeli troops seized four suspected militants in
      two incursions into Palestinian territory, according to the army and
      Palestinian security sources.
      ========================
      Leonard Grossman
      http://LGrossman.com
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.