Barak to Northern Command: Hizbullah growing stronger, but so are we

  • News-M
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Defense minister tours IDF's Northern Command, says Hizbullah is 'wary of
      firing at Israel at the moment, but beneath this blissful quiet there is a
      storm brewing'
      Hanan Greenberg YNET Published: 04.01.08, 14:05 / Israel News
      www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3526274,00.html

      Defense Minister Ehud Barak said during a tour of the IDF's Northern Command
      Tuesday that "Hizbullah is wary of firing at Israel at the moment because of
      the blows it sustained during the Second Lebanon War, but we also have many
      lessons to learn from that war, which we will hopefully implement in IDF
      training."

      Barak, along with Northern Command Chief Maj. Gen. Gadi Eizenkot, Brigadier
      General Imad Fars, commander of Division 91, and Deputy Chief of the General
      Staff of the IDF, Major General Dan Harel, toured the IDF's Northern Command
      post along the northern border, speaking to IDF soldiers stationed there,
      and receiving a security briefing from senior officers of the Northern
      Command.

      "Hizbullah, lurking on the other side of the border, is wary of firing at
      Israel at the moment, but continues to plot various schemes throughout the
      entire northern front," said Barak. "Hizbullah is getting stronger, but so
      is Israel, which is the strongest nation in the region. I would suggest that
      no one of the other side of the border mess with Israel, for their own
      good."

      As for heightened tensions on the northern front in wake of the
      assassination of Hizbullah commander Imad Mugniyah, Barak stated that "the
      IDF is ready, willing and able to deal with all possible contingencies.
      Israel sees right through this blissful quiet and is well aware that a storm
      is brewing underneath the surface."

      Hizbullah might get others to do their dirty work

      In similar vane, the Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee met
      Tuesday with Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi and a representative of the IDF's
      Intelligence Branch.

      The Intelligence Branch representative informed the Mks present that
      "Hizbullah is continuing its military escalation in Lebanon, and is supplied
      with ample arms from Syria and Iran. It is improving and streamlining all of
      its military units, and thus we still cannot rule out an attack in
      retaliation for Mugniyah 's assassination. Hizbullah is also likely to send
      other groups to do their dirty work for them, and not claim credit for such
      attacks."

      IDF Chief of Staff Ashkenazi stated during the meeting that "Hizbullah
      operates in the sly and in resident clothing mainly in residential areas in
      Lebanon, because the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) cannot
      operate in these areas without permission from the Lebanese army."

      Ashkenazi further noted that "We (the IDF) are continually operating in Gaza
      and will continue to do so even tonight. We are targeting terror operatives
      and will continue to strike at them."

      As for political negotiations with the Palestinians, the chief of staff
      noted that "the IDF has clearly mapped out all of Israel's various security
      interests".

      Amnon Meranda contributed to this article