Turkey warns Iraqi Kurds

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Tuesday 01 February 2005 Aljazeera
      Turkey warns Iraqi Kurds
      http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C00DB9C0-72BF-4C51-89C6-49F353BCC34D.htm

      Turkey has warned that it could take action if Kurdish attempts to take
      control of Kirkuk in northern Iraq plunge the oil-rich city into ethnic
      turmoil.

      In comments published in a newspaper interview on Monday, Turkey's
      Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul expressed renewed concerns that more Kurds
      than those expelled under Saddam Hussein's rule had settled in Kirkuk.

      "We are observing that the situation has reached dangerous proportions,"
      Gul told the English-language Turkish Daily News.

      He added the demographic structure of the city, which is also home to
      large numbers of Turkmen - a community of Turkish descent backed by
      Ankara - had been altered.

      "Now our fear is the possibility that these gross changes in the
      demography of Kirkuk could trigger an ethnic confrontation, which has
      not been seen so far."

      Clear borders

      "If our brothers [Turkmen] are not treated well, if they are subjected
      to oppression, such developments will hurt us deeply, and in a
      democratic society administrations cannot remain indifferent, or merely
      spectators, to such developments," Gul said.

      "Now our fear is the possibility that these gross changes in the
      demography of Kirkuk could trigger an ethnic confrontation, which has
      not been seen so far"

      Abdullah Gul, Turkish foreign minister

      The minister did not say what action Turkey could take but stressed that
      Ankara had no territorial ambitions over Iraq and respects its borders.

      "Our borders are clear. We have no territorial designs. We have no
      territorial demands on any country. When we talk about the integrity of
      Iraq, we mean the internationally recognised borders of Iraq," Gul said.

      Ankara says that many of the Kurds who moved to Kirkuk after the US-led
      occupation of Iraq in March 2003 and who voted in Sunday's elections
      have no bonds with the city and sees the influx as part of a Kurdish
      design to take control of the city and make it the capital of a future
      independent Kurdish state.

      Media blitzing Barzani

      Many Turkish newspapers on Monday ran front-page reports quoting Kurdish
      leader Massud Barzani, who heads one of two Kurdish factions controlling
      the north, as saying that Iraqi Kurds would one day have their own
      independent state.