[Israel Nat'l Security Council Head] Eiland: Syria pull-out from Lebanon not in our interest

  • MEW
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Last Update: 01/12/2004 11:06

      Eiland: Syria pull-out from Lebanon not in our interest
      By Haaretz Service

      The head of the National Security Council, Major General Giora Eiland, has
      stated that a Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon would not be in Israel's
      interest, warning that it could undermine security in Israel northern
      neighbor and leave Hezbollah unchecked, Army Radio reported Wednesday.

      In a written document submitted to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, Eiland
      wrote that "Israel has no real interest in a Syrian withdrawal from
      Lebanon, which could threaten Lebanese stability and afford Hezbollah
      greater freedom of operation to escalate the conflict on Israel's northern
      border.

      Eiland's confidential document contradicts the line emanating from
      Jerusalem, where officials have long demanded an immediate Syrian troop
      withdrawal as a condition of resuming talks with Damascus.

      A statement from the Prime Minister's Office issued Wednesday simply stated
      that "Sharon does not accept Eiland's recommendations."