Powell: Israeli Attack 'Too Aggressive'

  • Josh Pollack
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      Wednesday August 1 3:33 PM ET
      Powell: Israeli Attack 'Too Aggressive'

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Wednesday
      that Israel's attack on a Hamas building in the West Bank city of Nablus was
      ``too aggressive'' and helped to escalate Middle East violence.

      In an interview with CNN television, Powell also denied any difference
      between the State Department and the White House on how to deal with

      The State Department deplored on Tuesday the Israeli attack on the building,
      which killed eight Palestinians including two children and a high-level
      official of the
      Islamist group.

      The Washington Post detected a different response at the White House, saying
      it merely urged both sides to abide by the cease-fire mediated by the United
      States in

      Powell said: ``We felt that this was a targeted killing of the kind that we
      have spoken out and condemned in the past, and we did so yesterday both at
      the White
      House and in the State Department. We had a consistent view of it, that this
      kind of response is too aggressive and it just serves to increase the level
      of tension and
      violence in the region.''

      ``I think that the Israelis and the Palestinian side at this time should try
      to do everything possible to bring the passion down, the incitement down,
      and to bring the
      violence levels down,'' the secretary added.

      White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: ``The administration ... at all
      levels, deplores the violence there and that includes the targeted

      ``A cease-fire is a cease-fire and whether it is Israel or the Palestinians
      who engage in the violence, the United States condemns that violence and
      urges all parties to
      cease,'' he added.

      Asked what the United States planned to do about it beyond talking, he said:
      ``It still fundamentally depends on the two parties to engage in peace. The
      States cannot force peace. The United States will be a party to help