Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

PA funeral demonstrations / PA death sentences

Expand Messages
  • Josh Pollack
    New York Times August 01, 2001 Violence, Mourning Follow Israeli Missile Attack By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Filed at 7:01 a.m. ET
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2001
      New York Times
      August 01, 2001
      Violence, Mourning Follow Israeli Missile Attack
      Filed at 7:01 a.m. ET


      NABLUS, West Bank (AP) -- Thousands of mourners, some firing guns into the
      air, poured into the streets of Nablus in a funeral procession Wednesday for
      eight Palestinians killed in an Israeli helicopter raid.

      The crowd surrounded the bodies as they were removed from the Nablus
      hospital and carried through the streets on stretchers, covered with
      Palestinian flags. Women and children screamed and cried. Many waved green
      flags of the radical Palestinian group Hamas, whose offices were the target
      of Tuesday's assault.

      ``We will not stop our uprising,'' Anan al-Atiri, spokeswoman for the Fatah
      movement of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, said at the funeral. ``I think
      the coming days will be worse than before.''

      No official crowd figures were available, but unofficial estimates put the
      number at anywhere from 20,000 to 100,000.

      Palestinians began launching attacks against Israeli targets hours after the
      helicopter raid, and the clashes carried on through the night and into

      A small pipe exploded Wednesday in a park next to the King David Hotel, one
      of Jerusalem's best known and most luxurious hotels. Police said the blast
      caused no injuries or damage, but it added to the jittery atmosphere in
      Jerusalem, where Israeli security forces are on high alert.

      Palestinians threw rocks and firebombs at Israeli soldiers in the West Bank
      city of Hebron, and the troops responded with rubber bullets.

      Palestinians also opened fire Tuesday night on Gilo, a Jewish neighborhood
      in a disputed part of southern Jerusalem were clashes have erupted
      frequently. The Israelis fired tank shells and machine guns in a shootout
      that lasted into the early hours of Wednesday. One Palestinian was wounded,
      and a Palestinian home was destroyed.

      Also, five Israelis were injured, one seriously, when Palestinians fired at
      two cars in the West Bank on Tuesday night.

      In Gaza, Palestinians fired at least 15 mortar shells at Jewish settlements
      and army posts and exchanged fire with Israeli forces, the military said. No
      one was hurt.

      Israeli security forces warned that Palestinian militants were likely to
      attempt a major attack, while government officials defended the Nablus
      assault, which killed six people in the third-floor Hamas office, including
      a senior leader. Two brothers, ages 5 and 8, were killed by shrapnel on the
      street below the offices.

      ``If we didn't stop them, the attacks that they would carry out in Israel
      would harm children and women,'' Uri Shani, the director of Israeli Prime
      Minister Ariel Sharon's office, told army radio. ``Our job is to prevent
      such attacks.''

      Israeli officials said the main target of the operation was Jamal Mansour,
      42, a top leader of Hamas, a militant Islamic group opposed to any peace
      negotiations with Israel.

      Israel charged that Mansour was part of the Hamas leadership behind 10 bomb
      attacks since November, including a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv June 1 that
      killed 23 people, most of them Israeli teen-agers, and was planning more.
      Palestinians said he was a political figure. Two local Hamas leaders, Jamal
      Salim, 41, and Fahim Dawabshe, 32, were also killed.

      The Israeli strike brought international reproach.

      In Washington, U.S. State Department spokesman Charles F. Hunter said, ``We
      continue to strongly oppose the Israeli policy of targeted attacks.''

      U.N. Middle East envoy Terje Roed-Larsen said ``such actions are almost
      guaranteed to lead to a further escalation of tension,'' a statement said.

      A total of 10 Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces Tuesday, the
      deadliest single day in the Mideast conflict since a U.S.-brokered
      cease-fire was declared in June.

      The cease-fire has never taken hold, and Hussein al-Sheik, a leader of
      Arafat's Fatah movement in the West Bank, told Israel radio that the truce
      was over.

      In another development, a Palestinian security court in Nablus sentenced
      three Palestinians to death for helping Israel kill Palestinian activist
      Thabet Thabet last December. Another man was sentenced late Tuesday to 15
      years in prison and a fifth was released. Arafat must approve the death
      sentences before they can be carried out.

      Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.