Bush security aide: U.S. to use 'more resolute' force against Iraq
- Bush security aide: U.S. to use 'more resolute' force against Iraq
[30.07.01] WASHINGTON - Iraqi President Saddam Hussein is on the U.S. "radar scope" and the Bush
administration will use military force against his government in a "more resolute manner" than in
the past, a top U.S. official said on Sunday.
The official, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, declined to speculate on when President
George W. Bush might order an attack against Iraq, which last week nearly missed shooting down a
high-flying U.S. U-2 spy plane.
"But I can be certain of this and the world can be certain of this: Saddam Hussein is on the radar
screen for the administration," she said on CNN's "Late Edition" program.
The administration is working with friends and allies to craft a broad policy toward Iraq that among
other things looks at the use of "military force in a more resolute manner and not just a manner of
tit-for-tat with them every day," she said.
Bush last week said Saddam remained a menace and a threat to U.S. and international security a
decade after the Gulf War. Rice said the U.S. president "has reserved the right to respond when that
threat becomes one that he wishes no longer to tolerate."
U.S. and British warplanes have been patrolling no-fly zones over Iraq since the 1991 Gulf War, when
Baghdad was ousted from Kuwait by a U.S.-led coalition.
Iraq was banned from using all aircraft, including helicopters, in the air exclusion zones.
The zones were set up by Western powers to protect minority Kurds and Shiites in Iraq from attack by
No allied aircraft have been lost, although the Iraqi military has repeatedly fired anti-aircraft
guns and missiles at the warplanes, which have responded by dropping bombs and firing missiles at
Iraqi air defense sites.