Supposed author of American Study published in Al Hayat that Israel would be unable to repel all-out Arab attack - "I never wrote such a report"

  • Ami Isseroff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2001
      [Mewnews note - The article in question was posted on Mewnews - it is at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MewNews/message/2170. It seems that
      it is a canard].

      -----
      Subject: Supposed author of American Study published in Al Hayat that Israel would be unable to
      repel all-out Arab attack - "I never wrote such a report"

      Supposed author of American Study published in Al Hayat that Israel would be
      unable to repel all-out Arab attack - "I never wrote such a report"

      IMRA contacted Anthony H. Cordesman, Senior Fellow and Burke Chair at The
      Center for Strategic & International Studies, who is the author of a series
      of publications on the balance of power in the Middle East and related
      topics to identify that study that Al Hayat apparently claims he wrote [see
      below].

      Corsdesman replied to IMRA that: "The basic problem you have in finding the
      report is that I never wrote such a report, and since I did not see Al
      Hayhatt, I can't even determine whether their article is a collage quoted
      out of context. In the interim you can find what I actually do write at
      www.csis.org."

      +++

      American Study published in Al Hayat: Israel would be unable to repel
      all-out Arab attack

      By Daniel Sobelman, Ha'aretz Correspondent, and Ha'aretz Service

      A study published in recent days by an American research institute for
      strategic and international studies states that Israel would not be able to
      repel a comprehensive surprise attack from the Arab nations for a prolonged
      period of time. The study, headed by historian Anthony Kurdsman <sp?> and
      published in its entirety in Saturday's edition of Al Hayat, says that the
      quantitative advantage of the Arab armies would eventually outweigh the
      qualitative advantages the IDF has over the Arab militaries.

      According to the study, one of the reasons for the expected lack of Israeli
      success in repelling such an attack stems from the sensitivity of the
      Israeli public to casualties. Another of Israel's weaknesses mentioned in
      the report is the reaction to psychological warfare waged by enemies such as
      the militant Lebanese group Hezbollah, who have successfully used this
      tactic in the matter of the three IDF soldiers abducted by the group in
      October of last year.

      The study, which also focuses on the balance of power in the Middle East,
      states that Saudi Arabia is the Arab country with the most modern air force,
      matching that of Israel. Kurdsman claims that Israel's efforts in recent
      years to develop a missile defense system have been at the expense of the
      navy.

      Intelligence reports on Israel's nuclear capabilities states that Israel's
      arsenal contains some 400 nuclear warheads.

      The study determines that Russia and China are Iran's main sources for
      weaponry. With regards to Syria, the study estimates that last year the
      Syrian army tested a Scud D missile with a 600-kilometer range. It was noted
      that according to information held by the United States Central Intelligence
      Agency, Egypt "has not given up its plans" to develop a ballistic missile,
      called "Victor" with a 1,200 kilometer range.

      The editors of the study points out that unconventional weapons are the
      greatest danger in the region, saying that Iran will be able to develop a
      nuclear bomb in the next five years. Syria, the study states, will be able
      to produce bombs containing anthrax, a type of biological warfare, which
      according to the study, has an effect similar to that of a small nuclear
      warhead.

      The study concludes that the Middle East is the most armed region in the
      world and that in 1997 the Arab countries spent some $20 billion on arms
      deals.

      For a copy of all reports distributed for a given day please send a
      message to:

      monday@... tuesday@... wednesday@...
      thursday@... friday@...
      saturday@... sunday@...