Report: Israel broke Iranian code

  • MEW
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      Mar. 2, 2004
      Report: Israel broke Iranian code
      By YAAKOV KATZ

      A secret Israeli intelligence unit, known as Unit 8200, broke a sophisticated Iranian code enabling
      Israel to monitor communications, including contacts with Pakistan regarding the development of
      Iranian nuclear weapons, the New Yorker magazine reported on Tuesday.

      "On a trip to the Middle East last month, I was told that a number of years ago the Israeli
      signals-intelligence agency, known as Unit 8200, broke a sophisticated Iranian code and began
      monitoring communications that included talk between Iran and Pakistan about Iran's burgeoning
      nuclear-weapons program" Investigative reporter Seymour M. Hersh wrote in the article.

      According to the report, Israeli intelligence has created strong ties in Iran over the year, some of
      which exist till today. Hersh writes that the investigation by the International Atomic Energy
      Agency (I.A.E.A.) into Iranian nuclear capability was spurred by Israeli intelligence findings which
      were relayed to the atomic agency via the National Council of Resistance of Iran.

      According to the report, the findings, which showed that senior officials in Teheran and Islamabad
      had frequent conversations regarding the I.A.E.A. investigations, were also shared with United Sates
      intelligence services.

      "The interpretation is the issue here," a former intelligence official is quoted as saying in the
      report. "If you set the buzzwords aside, the substance is that the Iranians were saying, 'We've got
      to play with the I.A.E.A. We don't want to blow our cover, but we have to show some movement.
      There's no way we're going against world public opinion-no way. We've got to show that we're
      cooperating and get the Europeans on our side.'"

      Hersh reports that he met with a senior Israeli intelligence officer in Tel Aviv who has access to
      the secret Iran-Pakistan contacts and was told that Israel remains convinced that "the Iranians do
      not intend to give up the bomb.

      "What Iran did was report to the I.A.E.A. the information that was already out in the open and which
      they cannot protect. There is much that is not exposed," he said.
      http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1078208269063